my 70 gallon skippy filter

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the side with the original drain is the side i used for the weir i built. you probably wont be able to make one tho, unless you have access to a plastic welder.(they have them cheap at Harbor Freight, but i dont know how good they are) and the 1/2" plastic sheet stock. a 2" shower drain (grid removed) on the other side works great you'll need a 3&1/4" hole saw. you'll notice i put my input connection thru the side too. my plumbing is solid. but easily disassembled. you also wont be able to do the lift tubes with the hinging tees without a plastic welder and some sheet plastic stock. my design is a pretty good improvement on the original. you could probably have a waterfall weir made if you know someone who works in plastic or stainless steel.

Reaction score
ok here is my ida what if i take my 30 gallon tub sink it in the middle of my pond put all the filter stuff in side of it and insted of it poring it in to a bog or waterfall it just overflows? anyone ever thought of that. The only thing bad i guess i could think of would b drainage what ya think

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
I got mine from the local fish store that carries MICROBE LIFT PL. They had to order it but it took only 3 days and cost me 14 dollars for 16oz bottle. You'll want more then that however, I have a little 16gal filter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i used a 16oz bottle for a 70 gallon filter.. just make sure you follow the directions, the media must be clean and dry...paint it on lightly..let it sit in the air for 2 hours.. load your filter with the media and let it fill with pond water(dechlorined)and turn off the pump... let that sit for 2 hours.. then turn your pump back on and your all set. you can and should add a few fish (cheap goldies, or something expendable if your unsure) because with nothing to supply a bio load, the bacteria cant feed and/or multiply.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
the side with the original drain is the side i used for the weir i built. you probably wont be able to make one tho, unless you have access to a plastic welder.(they have them cheap at Harbor Freight, but i dont know how good they are) and the 1/2" plastic sheet stock. a 2" shower drain (grid removed) on the other side works great you'll need a 3&1/4" hole saw. you'll notice i put my input connection thru the side too. my plumbing is solid. but easily disassembled. you also wont be able to do the lift tubes with the hinging tees without a plastic welder and some sheet plastic stock. my design is a pretty good improvement on the original. you could probably have a waterfall weir made if you know someone who works in plastic or stainless steel.
I found a good plastic welder but it is still $159, thou it is better than $264 I have see it priced at.
I am thinking I dont need one for the weir thou. To make a waterfall weir I was either going to just make 2 cuts about 3-4” down from the top and ~12” apart and use my heat gun to bend it down. Then I could attach something to sides to prevent it from flowing over the sides with silicone and small SS screws. I would also put a wires across the top to make sure the tank was still rigid. Or do it your way with buying a plastic welder and getting some sheet stock from grainger,
this welder
from ebay for $159:
(harborfreight also has one for cheep one, thou it doesnt seem to have the hole in the top of the iron where you would insert the rods and its not ajustable, but it may still work)

I am curious about this pic thou:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428&d=1236448861
It looks like you have feet for the 2" pvc and you siliconed them to the bottom of the tank. Above you said you plastic welded the lift tubes but it looks like they are just siliconed. Where did you get the feet? if you did plastic welt it they must be HDPE like the tank is. Im thinking of getting the harborfreight welder as it should work for now just wont be as pretty without temp ajustment. Then I can do the plumbing like yous if I can find HDPE feet like those. Or actually it looks like you made them for 2" HDPE tubing and sheet stock welded together and then you must have welded the sheet stock to the tank. The PVC is mabe press fit into the HDPE tubing like this stuff:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1UWK4

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i welded the 2 layers of plastic that are inside the pipe (round, so the pipe slides over snuggly) the the foot caps were added as an after thought.. they were from my old pool..an Intex pvc frame pool, i forgot i had them cause when i put the pool together i bought another top frame and put it together upside down so the pool had a full frame,top and bottom. i guess i could of explained that in the posting on building it.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
koiguy ... the pipe that connects to the pump hose does it it go over the top of the tank ? or do you put it through the side near the top ?
also im not going to have a weir thingy as no welder ...how big would outlet pipe need to be and how near to the top ?

tank will be here tomorrow !!! so hopefully get the things i need and get started :icon_smile:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i ran my pipe thru the side but it is not necessary, run it over the side, you can put your T pipe (instead of elbow) and hose adapter right off the center down pipe if you like. mine doesnt leak but if thats a concern put your hose connection over the tub, so if it drips you don loose that water.check out post 69 of this thread to see how to use the T pipe instead of ebow, if your pump fails the T pipe keeps the filter from syphoning back into pond. and just use a bigger out let than inlet... shower drains work real nice.

Reaction score
Koiguy,

would you be kind enough to post list of all the parts you needed to make the biofilter.

Ask a Question