My 800 gal. pond is finally done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I started this endeavor in April of 2009. I restarted in April 2010. The pond is 3'10" deep and the surface is 5 feet by 8 feet. The liner is a 45 mil 20' x 15' EPDM liner. The rocks in the waterfall came from my Grandparents' farm. The filter is a homemade design with lava rock.The surrounding bench, wisteria and hops are from a few years ago.

Right now there are six common goldfish, but I will get some shubunkins in the spring.

The pond was terribly green when I took these pictures, but one day is just cleared up completely and now I can see the bottom just fine.

Attachments

• P8090711.JPG
    P8090711.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 366
  • P8090713.JPG
    P8090713.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 449
  • P8090715.JPG
    P8090715.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 406
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sunshine said:
Very nice Chris .. love the bench, great place to sit and watch the fish.

Indeed it is. I used cocoa bean mulch around the bench so it's easy on the bare feet. I actually had to install a concrete block wall on that edge on the pond since erosion between the '09 dig and '10 dig caused the edge to get too close to the bench. So now that side is a vertical edge that allows for a nice view from the bench. The wisteria provides some side for the human, but the fish have no shade except for plant in the water. So next year I'm going to work on adding more plants. I'll also do more landscaping around the waterfall to soften up the hard appearance of the rocks. I might have went overboard on the rocks, but hey, they were free.

Reaction score
ChrisP said:
I'll also do more landscaping around the waterfall to soften up the hard appearance of the rocks. I might have went overboard on the rocks, but hey, they were free.

Free is always good!! I used alot of mulch around mine, our township collects yard waste all year and provides free mulch/compost to us. So for a $35.00 delivery charge we can get 5 yards of mulch.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good there. Great job you did. I am a sucker for rocks, will need to get some more to finish this project.

Love the bench and all that you did.

Ask a Question