My add-on bog build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Update:
Bog and plants doing great! Crystal clear water too!...

20200704_125629.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The water enters the bog through 1-1/2" black flex PVC toward the right hand side in the picture below. It is routed over the wall between the bog and pond. After it connects to the ridgid PVC in the bog, I increased it to 2". So my two manifolds under the gravel are 2". All my plumbing is within the pond/bog so if anything leaks, it will only return to the pond.

20200620_122421.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
There's a very short piece of white ridgid PVC entering the gravel that I painted green. I also planted a Marsh Marigold in front it to help hide it.

I made the connection between the flex and ridgid using a Fernco coupling so I can easily disconnect it for the Winter.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Huge improvement in your pond, it looks great.

I need to get some up to date shots of my bog/pond, put so many various species of plants in there, which have taken off. In another few weeks won’t be able to see the gravel in the bog.

Only thing that is not doing well in my pond is the water celery. It got something on it, that is turning the leaves yellow in spots (maybe a fungus or something), but it is inhibiting it’s growth and letting the fish decimate it( normally the fish can’t keep up with it spreading. Instead the parrot feather took off this year, which I have had to pull out weekly by the bucket full.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your water has cleared to a degree you can see a visible difference that would definitely lead me to think some plants that prefer heavier nutrient load may not do as well as they had and for others to thrive that may had only been marginal at best.Makes sense to this Pollock

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If your water has cleared to a degree you can see a visible difference that would definitely lead me to think some plants that prefer heavier nutrient load may not do as well as they had and for others to thrive that may had only been marginal at best.Makes sense to this Pollock
Clearing to a degree of visible difference is a tremendous understatement. I have never had water this clear in over a decade. The only time I can recall the water being this clear is the day when I filled the pond for the very first time. Which of course didn't last very long due to new pond syndrome!

I'm not sure of your deduction in comparing different plants. All the plants I added to the bog are thriving. None have depleted in any way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
May i ask where you purchased the liner for the bog? Is it lighter, weight wise, than EPDM? I am looking at installing a bog. I can manage the rocks and wheelbarrows of gravel but a 15x20 liner is just over my limit.

Ask a Question