Hardiness Zone
9a
My baby koi are growing. posted by minnowman's wife P9150189.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice Minnoman how many do you have ?
What do you have them swimming about in at the moment and how are you filtering them ?

rgrds

Dave

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Hi Dave. There are about 50 fish, mostly koi with 5 longfins and some shubunkins and comets. They range from 5" down to 2" long.They are in a 10' swimming pool with constant water exchange from our deck ponds. The deck ponds have about 50%coverage of hornwort grass and a small pump circulating water between the two ponds as the only filtration. We were not planning to raise any babies before the koi had a group spawn in the greenhouse pond. I moved a handful of plant roots with about 200 eggs into a 5' pool with lots of hornwort and some water exchange until they were about 1" and I had a chance to set up the 10' swimming pool. I know very little about selecting koi and would appreciate any comments about them when we get some better pics, which will happen when we move them to the greenhouse pond next month.
Gary

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Gary, I can try and help and I'm sure Dave or others can help decide what ones are the better choices to grow out. I would love to come down and take a look while you move them but right now the weekends that aren't booked with jobs, and or koi club show committee meetings and club meetings is going to be few. We are also holding the aquarium society meeting the 20th of October and trying to get the ponds and yard ready for that too. Posts some pics as you can and I'll happily take a look. Got a lot of variety of assorted colors in the mix!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Nice babies, Minnowman ... and Minnowman's wife! I'm following this one to get to watch for more pics when you move them! Good luck, and you have lots of people that will enjoy seeing them close up, too. I always enjoy hearing what others have to say about the babies and their colors.

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Here are some pics of the koi babies after emptying their pool today. There were several deformed fish which have been removed. The five long fins will all be kept. We plan to keep about ten koi. If anyone has any opinions about which are the best, please let us know. The rest will be given away.
ShareThis
bth_PB020222_zpsd11aafe1.jpg

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
For sure keep the most balanced yellow white and black. Ki Showa aren't easy to find, I've looked for a decent one for a while. There are a few that are marked similar the largest one, I would try and pic the ones with the cleanest black markings and the strongest orange/red. There is one yellow and white Harwarke that is really nice so far and there is a yellow greenish colored one with nice scale pattern for a doitsu scaled fish I would consider keeping as well. I see fish that I most definitely would cull out. Might be easier if you bowl a small group of four or five fish at a time so we could point out each one. I'm with you too, I would keep all five of the LF's for a while and see how they develop, I'm sure Pauline is wanting to hold them anyway! :) Look good!

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Thanks Larkin. I took individual pics in a bucket today. Still having trouble posting, Pauline will try again tomorrow. What would you call the orange one with the darker band along its back in the far left of the last pic.

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Individual pics of the baby koi. not working. Will not load unless it is reduced to 25%. Then it is too small to be useful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Minnowman, one that I think Larkin would agree (from what he said above) to keep would be in the 2nd to last pic, the red one on the left side (large fish) with very distinct clean lines around the black spots on it's back. That's my pic of the bunch, even before what Larkin said. But, since Larkin helped give me pointers when I purchased some koi 2 years ago, I remember his teachings. :) I'm partial to tri-colored fish, so the same pic, the little guy that is kind of top center, black and white with red on it's head and maybe also on the belly is my 2nd choice. But, that's not based on anything in particular, just my own personal choice. I like that you have quite a few that are the yellow and black and white, too! I don't know I've ever seen those 3 colors before. I have yellow and white, but not with black markings. Cool baby pics! Can't wait to see more individual photos. Thanks for taking the time to photograph and share them with us.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Gary, I think it might become a Matsuba, still a little early to tell but one I would keep my eye on for sure. Have you tried going to the menu in the camera itself and adjusting the pixels down? I know what you mean about posting the pics, I'm having a lot of issues trying to post now as well. Explorer 8 is JUNK! I used to be able to resize and edit before I posted a pic. Now it's a PITA to just post a few pics.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a

Ask a Question