My Deck Pond From the Start

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by Nick83, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Nick83

Nick83 Jack of all trades, Master of none.

Weeki Wachee Florida, Home of the mermaids
    Thank you @Gemma . Every once in a while when i get ideas for something I want to build or bring to life I get the urge to put it on paper and tweak plans once I can visualize the project at all angles and then send it to the boss(my wife) for the go ahead to build lol.

Nick83, Oct 29, 2017
    qclabrat and Gemma like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Nick83

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

lol I am the boss and do the building, so a win win for me!

addy1, Oct 29, 2017
    Nick83 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Nick83

@addy1 haha well I only need approval if the project is for her or going to be furniture or whatnot for inside or outside the front of the house. Sometimes it's good to have her reign in my whacky ideas. But this time it wasn't so whacky and she had been wanting this without telling me. I have Multiple sclerosis and I will literally over do it until I am crawling on my hands and knees to finish a project. I refuse to be a victim of this disease so I push myself.

Here's another rendering I drew up with a couple corrections such as the spillway and handles for the lid and the storage door for under the plant shelf.
    IMAG1999.jpg

Nick83, Oct 29, 2017
    qclabrat and j.w like this.
  4. Nick83

That will really look nice! My sis had MS, but she gave up.

addy1, Oct 29, 2017
  5. Nick83

Thank you, I'm going to do my best. My dad has it also and he gave up as soon as he was diagnosed and now he isn't doing too well after 15 years. I've been on every medication known for 10 years and nothing does anything so now I just take vitamins and a lot of vitamin D3 and try to live a regular life as best I can. I'm too young to throw in the towel.

Nick83, Oct 29, 2017
    sissy, qclabrat, addy1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Nick83

j.w I Love my Goldies

Good for you fighting the fight as hard as you can @Nick83 Never give up and might be a good fix for it someday soon.

j.w, Oct 29, 2017
    Nick83 likes this.
  7. Nick83

Keep fighting!
    She was gone within 3 years of diagnosis, walked into the hospital, came out in a wheel chair, never walked again. Totally gave up.

addy1, Oct 29, 2017
  8. Nick83

@addy1 I'm really sorry to hear that about your sister. It hits some people harder than others. I was always a very active person so I guess I just don't know how to quit.
    @j.w The latest treatment I was on was Lemtrada which was supposedly the drug that would fix the lesions on my brain but $350k and 3 years later, I haven't seen any improvement. Thank goodness I have good health insurance or I would be one really unhappy son of a gun!

Nick83, Oct 30, 2017
  9. Nick83

qclabrat

sorry to hear about your condition Nick, but the best to you and glad to see you are in good spirits
    hope this place brings you joy and encouragement to stay active, stay strong!

Can you tell me why you have the spill way covered? That seems to be a perfect spot for a bog filter.
    Since building mine, I'm a complete convert to the design and function of it.

qclabrat, Oct 30, 2017
  10. Nick83

sissy sissy

sorry to hear about your Ms and i have friend ,she is very active and a health nut and she is now on almost 15 years and she says she will never give up .The stupid Obama care act screwed up her insurance from her hubbies company and only way she could keep his was to quit working .She only worked part time and they tried to say she had to pay for her own insurance so she quit and her hubbies great insurance pays most of her medical .Lucky she found out fast or she would have totally lost insurance .Existing condition and no medical wanted her .But since it was existing her hubbies kept her on .She seems even stronger today as she stays active .

sissy, Oct 30, 2017
    Nick83 likes this.
  11. Nick83

Thank you and yes this place has brought me joy and very helpful knowledge!

As for the spillway being covered is because of the small size and space for it I'm choosing to cover it and to hide the filter and plumbing and all the extras. The whole design is in its early stages and I'm always open to advice and tips for funtional improvements.

Nick83, Oct 30, 2017
    qclabrat likes this.
  12. Nick83

@sissy Thank you. Good for your friend for not giving up. So far that has been the best medicine to me during this fight, never giving up!
    That is horrible to hear about her battle with insurance. That is one stress nobody should have to deal with who has any life changing disease or complications. I've heard good and bad sides of the affordable care act which I'm lucky not to have to rely on. Tricare has been really good to me since I was medically retired from the Army.

Nick83, Oct 30, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  13. Nick83

sissy sissy

I was lucky ford motor company took care of retirees .But hubby as of last year since he turned 65 has medicare and next year I will be on medicare ,but ford still pays what is left that medicare does not pay for .I have been lucky no big health issues and I am a vegetarian all my life .I don't need any meds for anything .Even my doctor was and still is amazed at how healthy I am .

sissy, Oct 30, 2017
  14. Nick83

Thats really great Ford takes care of its employees. Motor companies I know of take very good care of their employees and retirees. My wife has extended family/friwnds in Jeep country at the Toledo plant.
    @sissy Being health conscious about how you treat your body will definitely do great things for those willing. If I didnt have MS I would be of perfect health. My blood gets checked once a month and every month my labs come back squeaky clean. I take vitamins and stay active. That's a really good thing to be healthier these days with so many people falling ill due to the choices made. I applaud you and hope many years of good health to come for you.

Nick83, Oct 30, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  15. Nick83

Here are the dimensions I'm working with... IMAG2007.jpg

Nick83, Oct 30, 2017
  16. Nick83

sissy sissy

can't see it print is not dark enough .I can see 71 at top and I think 17 tall and 18 tall

sissy, Oct 30, 2017
    qclabrat likes this.
  17. Nick83

planter box is 71"L x 17W x 12"H and the filter box side is 59½"L x 14W x 18H

Nick83, Oct 30, 2017
  18. Nick83

sissy sissy

so you will use plants as a filter also .I know I use plants and it works great .But an aerator is needed .Plants and koi need air to grow and be healthy

sissy, Oct 30, 2017
  19. Nick83

That I haven't decided if I want to just use regular plant pots and have them sitting on the top or if I want to go the hydroponics route and, if I go hydro on that side I would obviously use that side as the bio filter with the spillway and leave the filter box side alone. Aeration isn't a problem I have a pretty sufficient air pump already pumping air into the pond with extra valves to add lines to.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Nick83, Oct 30, 2017
  20. Nick83

I revised my drawing for a bog garden/planter. Roughly still the same dimensions but added the internal plumbing. Is this about correct? Im going to have the cuts facing the other direction. How about the spillway, is that a good location for it?

Sorry but its easier for me to draw what im planning rather than trying to explain it through typing and is a good visual for me to put the pieces together. IMAG2077.jpg

Nick83, Nov 8, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question