addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love mine! Keeps my pond in perfect condition. Never have green water, string algae has no chance in either big pond. The small slow flow, warm, ponds get a bunch of it. I leave it for the critters, the bees use it as a landing board for drinking.

Nick83

Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Reaction score
Weeki Wachee Florida, Home of the mermaids
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Oh nice, I hope that I can build it to be as efficient. Right now my pond itself has enough plants to keep it healthy and starve out any algae blooms at the moment. I'm sure adding a dedicated bog will really help.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Since this is my first winter or the lack of(zone9), I'm going to leave my Lillie's in the pond. Is there anything I should be doing other than removing the dead pads. Should I cut the tubers down or just let it ride out the season? One of my Lillie's is still producing flowers. One is about to bloom in the next couple of days and there's another slowly coming up to the surface.There's still baby pads popping up. I'm just curious as to what and if I need to be doing more than what I'm already doing aside from pulling the dead pads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Since this is my first winter or the lack of(zone9), I'm going to leave my Lillie's in the pond. Is there anything I should be doing other than removing the dead pads. Should I cut the tubers down or just let it ride out the season? One of my Lillie's is still producing flowers. One is about to bloom in the next couple of days and there's another slowly coming up to the surface.There's still baby pads popping up. I'm just curious as to what and if I need to be doing more than what I'm already doing aside from pulling the dead pads.
i leave mine in. just trim back the dead. you can sink them if you wish. I just leave them where they are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In your zone your lilies may just keep growing and flowering all year round. I would just experiment and see - keep trimming the dead and dying pads and see how long the plant keeps going. If they do keep growing, you'll have to divide them at some point, but 1st year plants should be fine for now.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
IMAG2158_1.jpg
A flower blossomed this morning. Cororado Lilly. There's another coming up right beneath the surface.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m envious! It’s early winter here, I’ve stopped feeding my fish, my plants have died back, and now comes the time of dull brown and grey. I’m trying to find good lilies for my area, that will cover a good portion of the pool next year, but not all of it.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
I'm thinking maybe this spring I'm going to add some floating plants with more flowers to give the pond a little more color.

Aside from adding flowers in the spring I'm going to start building the raised bog/equipment enclosure after Christmas. That will leave me plenty of time to pick out which plants I want to fill it with when construction is complete.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I’m envious! It’s early winter here, I’ve stopped feeding my fish, my plants have died back, and now comes the time of dull brown and grey. I’m trying to find good lilies for my area, that will cover a good portion of the pool next year, but not all of it.
See you are in OK, does it snow in Oklahoma City? I might be driving down there in the coming weeks if I can work out a price on a car. Will likely fly in and drive back to NJ

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It snows maybe a light dusting in late December, mostly Jan-Feb, sometimes into March. We might maybe get enough to roll up a few snowballs, if you work hard and have enough space, maybe even a short snowman.

Ask a Question