My Deck Pond From the Start

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by Nick83, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Nick83

Nick83 Jack of all trades, Master of none.

Weeki Wachee Florida, Home of the mermaids
    Thanks @j.w I'm working on a longer more steady video without moving the camera. Yeah they really do like playing in the vegetation and nipping at the leaves.
    I do want to add more loose plants on the bottom in the spring to create more hiding places and add some more color to the floor.

Nick83, Dec 16, 2017
    j.w likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Nick83

Rare footage of my pleco

Nick83, Dec 16, 2017
    j.w likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Nick83

j.w I Love my Goldies

I had a Pleco like that and he grew to be 12" long. I finally gave him to a guy w/a fish obsession who had lots of indoor aquariums. I was done w/aquariums and the Pleco was going to live forever I could tell!

j.w, Dec 16, 2017
  4. Nick83

A friend of mine had to do the same with his. It just outgrew his aquarium. I'm planning on keeping it as long as I can. If he doesn't become aggressive I'll keep it forever.

Nick83, Dec 16, 2017
    j.w likes this.
  5. Nick83

j.w I Love my Goldies

You are lucky you can keep yours outdoors there @Nick83 . I have heard they can become aggressive but maybe if it has plenty of room it won't happen.

Here mine was at my house and then 2nd photo is at Larry's house in his new home.

IMG_0027.JPG
    At Larry's.png

j.w, Dec 16, 2017
  6. Nick83

Very pretty pleco. If mine does become a problem in the deck... it will give me a reason to dig a larger pond in my backyard lol. I'm going to make sure he is happy and well fed as he/she grows to adulthood. So far it keeps to itself and is the smallest fish in the pond.

Nick83, Dec 17, 2017
    j.w likes this.
  7. Nick83

j.w I Love my Goldies

Doesn't take much to give us a reason to build a bigger pond.................oh yes I know :LOL:

j.w, Dec 17, 2017
    Gemma and Nick83 like this.
  8. Nick83

The past few days as you are aware, I have been taking a lot of underwater video of the fish in my pond. After viewing the videos I have noticed one of the fish is a red cap oranda. It just looked like a plain old fantail from above and I knew that there was something different about this one. After seeing it from the side it's head is forming a lump characteristic of a red cap oranda.

Attached Files:

Nick83, Dec 18, 2017
    addy1, j.w and Gemma like this.
  9. Nick83

Well I(my fish) survived its first winter with the new pond. I can't really say it was much of a winter but we had a couple cold snaps. The Lillie's are blooming. Well they never did stop blooming but one plant died back and it is coming up strong now. The fish never stopped eating and the water temps only dropped under 40°F maybe twice for less than 48hours. Everyone is happy healthy and strong. 1518898832586494016524.jpg

Nick83, Feb 17, 2018
    Gemma, j.w and sissy like this.
  10. Nick83

sissy sissy

I love your fantails .If I had a dream it would be my pond with only butt wigglers

sissy, Feb 17, 2018
    Gemma and Nick83 like this.
  11. Nick83

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Good looking fish! Glad they all made it

addy1, Feb 17, 2018
    Nick83 likes this.
  12. Nick83

j.w I Love my Goldies

Yep I too love the cute little butt wigglers :LOL:

j.w, Feb 18, 2018
  13. Nick83

The Ryukin does the most wriggling out of the bunch, it's pretty fun to watch her(?).

On another note.. I began construction on my raised bog to hide all the pond equipment and give a place for some new plants.

There's still alot of cosmetic work I want to do like carving out the top rim to give it a more natural wood appearance.
    As for the "bucket" I'm planning on using pond liner and for the water return I haven't decided on what I want to use. A spillway might be a little bit too noisy so I'm leaning towards using pipe to carry the water lower before it splashes too loud. Gotta get the right decibels for the perfect front porch ambiance. IMAG2473.jpg

Attached Files:

Nick83, Mar 1, 2018
  14. Nick83

Gordo33

I was reading thru your thread because I am planning to build a patio pond. Your pond and fish look great. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished bog.
    I'm sorry to here the treatments for MS have stopped working. I am a PT and work with MS and other neurological patients. Recently my 5 year old grandson was DX with epilespy. Trying to help him I came across nutritional information for pediatric epilepsy patients who don't respond to the meds. The diet is called Ketogenic. The research the last 10-15 years has exploded and there is evidence for the diet to improve MS, Parkinsons and other metabolic disorders.
    If you are interested search on you tube for the Epigenix Foundation. They have leading experts addressing the diet and how different disorders are affected. Also search for Dom D'Agostino, Eric Kossoff , and Mary Newport. They are leading researchers and neurologists in this field.

HTH

Gordo33, Mar 2, 2018
    Lisak1 and Nick83 like this.
  15. Nick83

Thank you @Gordo33 I worked really hard to get it just right. The bog construction will be complete this weekend then it's up to my wife to make it beautiful lol.

I Aalso, Thank you for information on treatment for MS and the people to look for. I started taking 20,000IU vitamin D3 every morning about 6 or so months ago. With summer on the way, it will be a true test of its helping. I can say that I haven't had any major relapses in a few years. I know diet is a big contributor in rebuilding ththe neurological system.

I wish the best of luck for your grandson and hope he improves his condition and can grow up with little or no effects due to all these new treatments and information out there today. It's a long tough road but with persistence and help and encouragement from loving family and friends the journey to recovery won't seem too bad, for him I hope!

Nick83, Mar 3, 2018
    Gordo33 likes this.
  16. Nick83

Raised water garden/ bog is up and running. Now I need to finish the front. IMAG2541.jpg

Nick83, Mar 9, 2018
    j.w, Gemma, Gordo33 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Nick83

Well with my new water spout it creates a lot of surface agitation and I wanted to be able to see my fish clearly without adjusting water flow every time I wanted to watch my fish with an unobstructed view. I saw this viewing idea on YouTube of people who have made reverse periscope out of pvc pipe and acrylic glass. Instead of sticking my face in a pipe that was uncomfortable and just plain stupid I came up with my own rendition of what I call the Pondiscope. I made the pvc a little more comfortable and form fitting for a face and blocks out the glare from the sun. I really only wanted a way to see if there's fry swimming around because lately I've noticed a lot of mating behavior goin on below the surface.

Attached Files:

Nick83, Mar 12, 2018
    RobAmy, j.w, addy1 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Nick83

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

How neat!

addy1, Mar 13, 2018
    Nick83 likes this.
  19. Nick83

ShawnInfirmity

@Nick83 You have any recent pictures of your pond and bog? A front view would be awesome to get an idea of how the bog looks with the pond below.

ShawnInfirmity, Mar 19, 2018
    Nick83 likes this.
  20. Nick83

@ShawnInfirmity it's not 100% complete yet and pretty bare. I wanted to get it up and running before I finished so I can make changes and check for leaks before its covered. Once it's finished you won't see that ugly mess. 1521580390602-1046311012.jpg

Nick83, Mar 20, 2018
    addy1, Gordo33 and ShawnInfirmity like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question