My DIY Filter

Reaction score
I wanted to share my DIY bio-filter and hope people can give me advice on how to improve it and/or just give me feedback on what you think. Every comment will be greatly appreciated as I am a new member. I will try and explain the steps as best I can. Just to give a little background to my pond, It is about 1200 gallons, 5 feet wide and about 10 feet long by 3 feet deep. I live in Iowa so the winters can get pretty cold. This past summer was the first year in operation so the landscape around the pond is not finished yet. My pond has a bottom drain that is connected to pre-filter where the 1200 gph pump is located. I have three green matala mats in a row to catch the large debris before going to the pump and bio-filter.

The first picture shows how the water enters the biofilter. (I had nowhere to hide the filter so I had to bury it) It goes underground from the pump to the top of the biofilter. I put the screw on pvc at the top so I could easily remove the grates and filter material. It then goes down to the bottom and makes a cyclonic action to let the debris settle and then rises to the top through the material and out onto the waterfall, to the stream.

The second picture show the biomedia (poly string that was cut into shorter sections then unraveled. The come as three strands together but when you cut it you can take the strands apart.) I'm sorry I didn't show this, but under the material there is a grate above the PVC to hold the string out of the cyclonic moving water. I had to put rocks on top of the top grate to keep the string held down. Also, this past week I found some blue furnace filter that I will be adding to my filter this coming spring.

The third picture shows how I have tried to hide the filter and the first bigger waterfall that feeds the stream. The fourth picture shows my pond towards the end of summer. I have lillies, cattails, and a few Iris growing in the pond as well as a few floating plants I got from a friend. It was the first summer after the plants had been replanted so they didn't grow very well. I took the goldfish out of my pond so I can have only Koi from now on. I had three koi but after I took all the goldfish out one of the Koi, who was about 8 inches long died.

Hope I can get some feedback soon and I hope you like my pond/filter idea.

Attachments

• P1050698.JPG
    P1050698.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 530
  • P1050717.JPG
    P1050717.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 619
  • DSC_0385.JPG
    DSC_0385.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 558
  • 0815110937.jpg
    0815110937.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 462
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the water exits the filter by 6, 1/2" holes (they are threaded pvc electrical sockets. I'm sorry I cannot think of the correct name. We made sure to put plenty of silicone on them as to not leak) and the water goes onto a bunk bed tray. I used it because it had sides to control how wide the waterfall would be and it was flat so the water could make a nice even flow over into the upper small pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your set up is very pretty, nice clear water. Great waterfall.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
And how were the ammonia levels in the pond? That will tell you if the filter is working as it should.
John

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
pond looks good in pics...clear water is great but clear water isnt always clean water...as stated earlier..if the parameers are good the filter is atleast doing its job. my only negative critique on the filter is that you havent incorporated a flush valve so debris will accumulate in the bottom of the filter and sit. they will decompose there just as in the pond, actually its likely they will decompose faster as they will have a constant flow of moving water keeping them stirred and moving. thats why most of us installed flush valves so a good amount of the wastes can be eliminated from the eco system entirely on a regular basis. this also gives a small water change as you replace the water used in the flush. and water changes are can be an intregal part in maintaining a, not just adequate, but high quality enviroment for your fish. the flush valve also eleviates or lessens the need for manual cleaning of the filter

Reaction score
I do not have a test kit at this point in time. How much do they cost and where can I get one? Since I only have 2 Koi at this point in time I don't think I need to worry too much. Also, since I will be adding more media (the blue furnace filter that other threads had on them) I feel like my filter will work even better.

Reaction score
as a reply to koiguy..thank you for the comment and yes I have taken that into account. I did not have anywhere to hid the filter so I had to bury it. I cleaned the filter halfway through the summer and lightly washed the media and had to use a shop vac to get about 1/2 inch to 1 inch of fish waste off the bottom of the filter. I did the same again right before winter and may do it early in spring too. I no it is bad to clean the filter as it interrupts the good bacteria. But I try not to clean the media too much.

Reaction score
here is a picture from early in the summer of my goldfish and Koi (the koi are the black, light orange, and white/orange one). It was cool because I was able to get all of them in one shot.

Attachments

• DSC_0384.JPG
    DSC_0384.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 258

Ask a Question