My drive back through Mexico

Reaction score
Great thread. Sorry about your divorce yet sometimes it is for the best. Hopefully your GI system has acclimated to the food and water. Keep us updated!

My water comes straight from a cenote with no treatment at all. An outdoor faucet quit flowing, so I removed it and found a large pit or seed. I have no idea how it made it past all of the 90's and T's..

tinaco2001_zpsf71d00ed.jpg

tinaco2002_zps8690f73f.jpg

I regularly brush my teeth with it, shower, wash clothes and dishes. Bottled water is everywhere for drinking and making coffee. I eat anywhere here, my daughter came down to visit and posted on Facebook, "Dad won't eat anywhere that even remotely resembles a restaurant, a BBQ pit thrown up in front of someones shack is perfect for him."
I never get sick from the food.

The water here is incredible..

kayakin1006_zps9ce09103.jpg

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Good for you.

During a temporary Costa Rican assignment I spent time in cities, rural areas, mountainous villages, jungles and rivers. Ate anywhere due to the nature of my work. I unknowingly brought a GI bacteria back to the US. Over a year or so it had made its home in my stomach. Eventually I knew all was not right so went to my family doctor. Doc immediately knew what I had. Four pills a day for four weeks killed the culprit bacteria. Costa Rica is a lush beautiful country yet has somewhat troubling neighboring countries. Many American's retire to Costa Rica. Knowledge of the do's and do not's are most important in Central America as in Mexico.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks so much for sharing all this about your new life there. Wonder how long it took to put fires out w/ the 1st setup vs the new? Have you had any fires since you have been living there? Nice of you to bring all that fire equipment back w/ you.
Must be kinda lonely there especially at night or is it a real party get together time then? Looks like there are a lot of people moving in there seeing all the little huts. How do they maintain order in your area? Are there guards or peacekeepers? Just wondering how it all works and if everyone gets along living so close to each other :)

Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing all this about your new life there. Wonder how long it took to put fires out w/ the 1st setup vs the new? Have you had any fires since you have been living there? Nice of you to bring all that fire equipment back w/ you.
Must be kinda lonely there especially at night or is it a real party get together time then? Looks like there are a lot of people moving in there seeing all the little huts. How do they maintain order in your area? Are there guards or peacekeepers? Just wondering how it all works and if everyone gets along living so close to each other :)

The last fire burned down the entire front row. I spoke to a couple, there are parties at the restaurant at times, they heard a lot of noise and thought, "Man, they are really partying tonight." Thirty minutes later they hear loud booms and thought that fireworks were going off. This was propane tans exploding and they were still in their house totally unaware that the fire was approaching their place. Then people began running into their burning homes trying to get their passports, jewelry and money. So at my fire meeting I stressed notification. I mounted a siren on my bug and you never hear a siren here. So, if they hear this siren going through the neighborhood, have all of your important papers, jewelry and money in a fireproof box and move your cars to the front of the restaurant. (Cars burned up as well.) then report to the incident commander for assignments. We have an attack team, pump team, propane tank removal, etc.

We have had one fire that nobody was even aware of, it was contained to a brick room and used up all of the oxygen then burned itself out.

It does get lonely at times, but it beats the screaming and violence. Thursday and Saturday night an excellent rock band lays at a local bar and I'm a regular, dancing like a drunk fool. (Did I say like?) I paced myself last night pretty well, closed my tab and Jimena, a pretty waitress insisted on doing a shot of tequila with me. I went back today and just drank 2 beers, one at each bar just for some company.

The guards keep a close eye on everything so crime is nonexistent here. Violence is not tolerated, you will be evicted, so it stays real peaceful. During the summer, all of the Canadians go home and it is very quiet. There are only four couples on my entire row right now, as it will be all summer.

Playa Del Carmen is party central, you can find whatever you want, any time of day or night there, and I do mean anything.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How horrible on the fire that burned a bunch of homes down. Now you guys all have a system and a plan on what to do and who's in charge. Hope no one was hurt trying to rescue their belongings.

You are such a friendly, likeable character and so generous to everyone. Just be careful now on those women who try and hook up w/ you. I would suggest a long courtship w/ the next lady who wants to snag you. Maybe a 7 year plan to see how each of your engines work and kick the tires and all. If any missing spark plugs then move on to the next one,lol!

Reaction score
How horrible on the fire that burned a bunch of homes down. Now you guys all have a system and a plan on what to do and who's in charge. Hope no one was hurt trying to rescue their belongings.

You are such a friendly, likeable character and so generous to everyone. Just be careful now on those women who try and hook up w/ you. I would suggest a long courtship w/ the next lady who wants to snag you. Maybe a 7 year plan to see how each of your engines work and kick the tires and all. If any missing spark plugs then move on to the next one,lol!

I know JW, I have suddenly become "Paamul's most eligible bachelor. However, I debate the "eligible" part as I don't want to hook up right now. A partner, a friend, spend the night or two, yes. I like monogamous relationships but am not wanting anything right now other than a friend.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good for you, just enjoy your freedom and watch yourself cuz if you get a little bit too much of the yippee, sippee, joy juice one might lasso ya and drag you to the chapel and you would never know what hit ya! You can never have too many friends but one measly little wife or husband can sometimes drive you to the nuthouse if you choose the wrong one ;)

Reaction score
Good for you, just enjoy your freedom and watch yourself cuz if you get a little bit too much of the yippee, sippee, joy juice one might lasso ya and drag you to the chapel and you would never know what hit ya! You can never have too many friends but one measly little wife or husband can sometimes drive you to the nuthouse if you choose the wrong one ;)

No chance of that my friend. I'm tired of breaking vows. There are just too many women here to get lassoed. My daughter said, "No bartenders or waitresses."

I said, "What about a chicken flipper? I saw the cutest little Mayan girl in Chetumal flipping chickens and smiling at me. How about a chicken flipper?" They come home at the end of the day smelling like wood smoke, which next to the smell of sex or spent gunpowder is the most powerful aphrodisiac known to man.

She says a chicken flipper is OK.

There is no shortage of "Palapa hoppers" here. Women who come on vacation, don't have that much to go home to, and decide to stay. There was a fine young girl named Holly who did this and moved in with an absolute pig here named Bruce. A huge, fat man with man boobs, never wore a shirt, just to live here. He actually told me, "These shorts are my wardrobe, I shower in them and they dry and are clean." A real classy dude. But, my point is, women come and go here. Sex is available but I think I have finally learned that people tend to take ownership of each other, take each other for granted after a while. A true gem, such as You, JW, comes once in a lifetime and you can't be snagged up if and when that happens.

But, it's not the first time I have slept alone. When you end a relationship, you go through a drought for a while, then before you know it, you are juggling three.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Life always settles out. My late hubby passed, I had 7 guys offer to move in with me within one month of him dieing, guess they liked the house I was living in, I politely said no............ and fell for a great guy 2300 miles away. We are still very happily married, working on our 7th year together.

I never minded being alone, but do enjoy being married or with one guy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Where I am concerned 1 hubby and 1 marriage is enough for me addy .I really do not think I could really do it all again .41 years and almost did not make it to that after hubby had his heart attack .Doctor only gave him a 20% chance to live after he died 5 times on the operating table .I told the doctor there was no way he was going to die on me .:)I stayed at the hospital for 4 days and only came home because doctor said it looks like he is going to make it .He laughed and said I guess your threat worked ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the nice compliment Bullfrog but after 45 yrs of living w/ the same man I think he would come up w/ several situations where he would have liked to have had me shipped to you free of charge and the same goes from me to him :D

It's just the way it goes. You just learn to live w/ each others flaws and sometimes it takes forever and then new flaws pop up. You love each other but at times you need space. We work it out and now are happy to be stuck w/ each other...............yep that's what we jokingly call it but it's true. Starting over would be horrid, having to start over w/ a new man..............oh the thought gives me shivers up and down my spine. Once you find a good mate and lose them it would be impossible to find another just like them but if you are fortunate and a good one comes along do hang on and try to work things out together when the bumps start to come up as they surely will. There is no perfect marriage but you can get close if you learn to bend and think of the other person more than yourself. Be kind and speak softly. Not saying I can do this all the time but I am trying and I do have my flareups. I am reading the Bible from old to new testaments. Each morning I read 1 chapter and let it try to sink in and it has a lot to say about how to treat other people. It is hard to stick to but I ask for help each day.
Living in a world full of people all different then you is hard. You are always gonna come up w/ different ideas and ways of how life should be lived. If you don't live w/ them it is much easier as you can go your own way but living together 24/7 you will need much patience to keep things flowing smoothly.

I hope for you that someday that right person will come along but they will not be a saint and they do come w/baggage as you well know. It will take a long time for some of that baggage to show up tho so that's why I mentioned the long courtship, they can't hold it in forever. If that baggage is something you can't handle then get out before the knot is tied!

I wish the best for you and look forward to hearing you are living a happy, peaceful life in that paradise of a place you are so fortunate to live in. Hope you will post more of your adventures and pix of it all :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice compliment Bullfrog but after 45 yrs of living w/ the same man I think he would come up w/ several situations where he would have liked to have had me shipped to you free of charge and the same goes from me to him :D

It really came from the heart JW, I have loved you for years in a really good way for the right reasons. God would approve. I know you so well I think I really captured your spirit in the first book. You never have to explain yourself to me, but I never tire of hearing what you have to say.

I hope for you that someday that right person will come along but they will not be a saint and they do come w/baggage as you well know. It will take a long time for some of that baggage to show up tho so that's why I mentioned the long courtship, they can't hold it in forever. If that baggage is something you can't handle then get out before the knot is tied!

I'm in no hurry. I think that's where I screwed up the last few times, getting in a hurry, hungry for love. I really like the comfort and familiarity of a steady relationship, it is all I have ever known. I was married 21 years to my first wife, I didn't want to leave, but knew that I had to. I soon discovered one thing. I had been "Husband, Dad, Firefighter, Paramedic," for so long, I didn't know who Felipe was anymore without all of these roles to fill. I was utterly alone and sad. I quickly joined the new local emergency services to fill that void, but the separation of such an intimate relationship disturbs you deeply. I woke up last night wondering where Bette was. I woke up last week and she wasn't in bed, I called her name. Then I woke up and remembered.

We will both live. I pray for her daily for God to ease her heart. I guess I should be praying for him to ease mine, as well.

But, I ramble, I do that when I smoke. I'm in no hurry. I have so much to do, today I took my underwater metal detector down in front of a resort. My neighbor found a $10,000.00 tennis bracelet there and the other neighbor found a $10,000.00 Wedding band. This is just the highlights. I was told Guy paid his rent by detecting in front of resorts.

I have a spear gun and lobster hook. All of my gear is right here with a tank of air. I can go get lobster and supper for a week right across the street. The boat goes out at 9:00 every morning if I want to go. I brought back a new Dremel and a scale model of The Constitution, or "Old Ironsides." The rigging alone takes weeks, tying thread through tiny pullies (after you have painted them) and drawing the string tight, then gluing it.

Coconuts are everywhere. I'm going to cut designs in them with a dremel and mount a small light inside, suspended from a string.

Learn my guitar.

Not to mention the bars downtown. Bad Boys is my current haunt.

I wish the best for you and look forward to hearing you are living a happy, peaceful life in that paradise of a place you are so fortunate to live in. Hope you will post more of your adventures and pix of it all :)

You too my friend. I'm really happy here. More tall tales and pictures coming.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You will be fine, you have lived through a lot and you have a lot more living to do. I'm glad you love where you are at and have lots of good things to keep you busy. Can't wait to hear your tall tales and see your photo's. Don't go away anymore for so long and make me wonder if you are still alive and kicking. You are a friend I do not want to lose.

Ask a Question