My First Koi Pond Build....2012

Reaction score
Hi ALL,

In my intro thread, it was suggested for me to open a new thread on my ongoing first Koi Build. That way I can ask question as I move on to the next step. And appreciate your critique, now take into account many here, might have great advice or what they would do but understand what works for you might not work for me. I will appreciate any advice, but if you have a suggestion please provide a picture example of your setup. Just want to make sure you are providing information that also works for you.

Note: Please try to hold onto your comments and suggestion until I have posted the first steps taken and where I'm at not with the current build. In addition I want to post a few current pictures. Thank you for looking!

The start of my Koi Pond build commenced about a month ago, preparing the area where I want to have the Koi Pond located! The Koi Pond will be in the front of the house. In order for this to happen I needed to have my landscape first, consisting of removing about 6-8 large trees by a tree removal service. Followed by a landscaping company to excavate coming in with a backhole to remove the tree roots, fill and level the ground, seeded for grass and covered in straw as you will understand by the pictures provided. Before the landscaping my place was too hilly, rocky and not safe for my youngest daughter Zoe to run around a play. Before I was going to engage in this Koi Pond project, I needed to setup a play area yard for my little Zoe.
MyKoiPond_inthePoconos026.jpg

MyKoiPond_inthePoconos025.jpg

MyKoiPond_inthePoconos024.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze look like you are stuck in the trees there so think about leaves falling .I am so so so jealous of your soil .

Reaction score
I've been around these forums for a number years now, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen enthusiastic people join the forums AFTER building their new KOI ponds, only to be bombarded with problems which they post in the forums, and in reply they get bombarded with comments about how they SHOULD have done it.
Thing about koi is they can get very big compared to other typical pond fish, and people seem to want to have a lot of them in their ponds. Those two factors coupled with the fact koi can be very expensive compared to say goldfish (the next most common pond fish), often lead to some very disappointed new pond owners when the realities of pond care start raising their ugly head.
Sick and dying fish, green and murky water, excessive pond maintenance are just some of the things that can take the fun out of having a pond, but most can be avoided by doing a little bit, (better to do a lot), of research BEFORE starting.
Not knowing anything about your pond, other that what I can see from the hole you started and that you plan of keeping koi, the only suggestion I can offer is, you are best to oversize everything (pond volume and depth, pump capacity, filter system and expectations), and under stock you fish population.
When it comes to filter systems the usual rule of thumb is filters that are cheap and easy to build will require lots of ongoing cleaning and maintenance. Filter systems that are more complicated, and often more costly, generally require very little maintenance and a lot less cleaning (some are even self cleaning).

You said you'd like picture examples to go along with any advice given, well below is a few pictures of my pump/filtration room. Even with all that I'm not incline to keep koi in my pond because I think koi will get too big, and be too messy for my small 2,000 gal pond.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/gallery/image/1976-left-side/

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/gallery/image/1977-right-side/

Reaction score
I hope I don't bore you with pictures, but I'm leading to the Koi Pond Build
MyKoiPond_inthePoconos023.jpg

As mention before told the Landscapers to go a kidney shape and I wanted the hole layers starting 1ft, then 2 ft and the center 3-4ft when they started I already notice that they were not listening. I told them to STOP...I'll finish it. God gave us to ears to listen...simple. Anyway, I've decided to finish the digging myself.

Don't be fooled by the top soil, underneath this there was rocks small to boulders size 100+ lbs.

ipod013.jpg

Ask a Question