addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
cheap fix, use pvc, squish it. I used pvc out of the sort of skippy feeding my shubbie tank, just covered it with rocks, looks like a nice spillway now. This is when I was still working on the rock placements.

Reaction score
here a old picture of how it looks.

Attachments

• closefilterview.jpg
    closefilterview.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 237
Reaction score
Kudos on your pond! One year of work, and a beautiful result. I am a newbie with two questions, if you don't mind. First, you wrote in another thread that you acquired a 50 X 50 piece of EPDM roofing. My guesstimate of its weight is around seven hundred pounds. If that's correct, my first question: how did you move it? Brute force? Other? My second question is on price. You also mentioned that you were able to acquire the EPDM at a roofing supply store (if memory serves) for $500. Here in Western WA, I cannot find a price anywhere near that, nor can I do so on the Internet. Do you have any advice? Many thanks, and again kudos on the lovely pond! I am just getting underway with my project, and am elated to have found this forum.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used a tank adapter also but 2 of them, that way I could keep plants in my filters .I plan on melting the extention to flatten it a little yet and dry stacked rocks in front of the tank and put the liner all around the tank
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54032]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54044]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54040]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54076]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my liner was 25 by 30 and I moved it buy my self .Slowly by myself .They are heavy but you can do it bit by bit .I even put it in by myself ,I did have to get under it to do it and then could not find the end I needed to find my way out and it was hot under there .I needed the end by the waterfall as it was not as steep .Pond is over 4 ft. deep and I am only 5 ft 2 inches tall so if I can do it any one can .

Reaction score
That's a pretty pond you've got there, sissy! At 25 by 30, the weight of a liner would be roughly half of 50 by 50. If that liner is EPDM roofing, it would be around 350 pounds. No question I can move 350 pounds by myself, as you did. And if your liner is other than EPDM roofing, it's likely even lower weight, so that likewise would be no trouble for me.

But 50 by 50 EPDM at something like 700 pounds, nope ... I can't move that solo. Hence my question to marscot, plus the other question on price: I'm looking at a 50 by 50 or larger pond (these are just preliminary figures), and am having a difficult time figuring a liner I can afford. Marscot got his at around $500 but it thus far seems I can't find a 50 by 50 piece of EPDM roofing for anything near that "low" a figure!

I'll look forward to marscot's replies ... I bet he's out in the yard this moment, admiring his excellent work!

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. Me and my dad moved it.He and I worked for a roofing company and knew how to move it. I only need 25 by 25 piece but had to buy the whole thing. We cut it in half then made it into a long rectange. Then we pulled one in on the truck. We then folded it into a thinner piece until it was the length of our torso. After that we pulled it up by sections at the length both of us could carry it with it drooping or hanging. We did both pieces like that and when we got home we slide it off the truck and carried it together. It would have been better with a wheel barrel but I was too cheap to buy one. The other piece sat in my yard until a relative borrowed it and never gave it back.

Reaction score
Also straightening a large piece of rubber is easier if you have air under it. Take two people at each corner and pop it up and down like your are shaking crumbs off some sheets and it will slide like butter. Compacting it to the point it doesn't hang helps because you're centering the weight better instead of dead weight pulling you down. That's why it's easier to carry a woke person who can center their weight than a drunk who just hangs there

Reaction score
Many thanks! At 400+ pounds, yes, I can see two people moving it. I've got some handy moving equipment, so that will help if it comes to it.

Were you able to get that deal of $500 for a 50 by 50 piece because you and your Dad were roofers? I can't find a price anywhere near that good! If I could find that material at that size for anything near that price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Again, kudos on the beautiful pond. It looks like a lot of fun, for sure ...

Reaction score
Lol also keep your knees bent so you can support the weight with your knees and waist instead of your back. I live near downtown st louis and there was a local roofing supply place that my dad knew about when we worked there. We aren't roofers by trade though. We worked in the warehouse so we worked with loading and unloading all the materials and deliveries. We learned roofing on the side by working with roofers on side jobs. Long story short no we just walked in and bought it. Prices are always different depending on where you live. I wouldn't buy it online because most of the cost is because of the weight. Find a local professional roofing supply store that deals with commercial roofers. They will be cheaper and go there and load it on a truck yourself. It will be cheaper that anything else.

Reaction score
Finding a commercial roofing company will also help because they will be more willing to sell you there clean scrap that they cut than a smaller roofing company that will want to make every piece count. They will also have giant rolls of the stuff. At the job we would always have I believe 10 100x300 rolls of the stuff for commercial building. The less seams they had the longer the roof lasted.

Reaction score
To sissy I will probably pull the Skippy filter back and make a better waterfall like yours. I like there is a place for the water to collect after your filter. I will just have to save more money until I get enough to build the support structure for it.

Reaction score
Thanks again! I for sure will explore it some more but I've got serious doubts I can find a 50 by 50 piece at $500. That's just twenty cents per square foot. I've got a lead on a wholesale roofing place in in Seattle (seventy miles south of me) that sells it around 40 cents per square foot ... but that's double what you paid. Guess I gotta move to the the IL/MO area!

Ask a Question