My First Pond Build. 1yr + work in progress

Reaction score
Lol I guess so. I had never bought rubber before then. I just knew it was half the cost I saw online and high tailed it down there before they closed. If I still had the other half I would have gladly given it to you.

Reaction score
If great barbecue alone weren't reason enough to move to your area (it is!), so is your generosity. What's up with that family member making off with a pond liner, anyway?!

I will keep at it and post the results. I see some good products and prices on the BTL website, though nothing on the order of what you scored.

This forum is great! I've been learning a lot. I was just reading a post by a member in AZ who, if I got it right, always puts mortar over his liners. So, that's next on my list of things to learn: pros and cons of mortar. Lots to do! The task seems a little daunting, but I'm happy to have the opportunity to give it a try.

Reaction score
I know. He never gave me a straight answer whenever I would ask for it back. I eventually just took it as a lose. I never heard of the mortar. Why would they use that. I thought the chemicals in that stuff was bad for the fish. Any living thing come to think of it.

Reaction score
On the mortar, I don't know the answer ... I'm a newbie! In fact, I'm so new, maybe I'm a pre-newbie. I was reading a thread on, among other things, how various critters can damage liners. Also, if memory serves, before I discovered this forum, I watched a YouTube video or two by someone ("pondguru?") who uses no end of mortar to set stone in ponds/waterfalls.

Reaction score
I can see mortar as the base for your pond to stop roots and then sand to provide smooth surface for the liner. Then I would say the liner should go on top. I have large round stones in my pond and they never move because of the weight. I secure stones to my water fall with that spray foam sealer for waterfalls.

Ask a Question