My first pond build - in slo-mo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
JW,

I'm using pond foam for the larger spaces, but it will be permeable. I have the same set up in a very small pond and it works well with little leaching and only in the first day or three.

Addy1,

There's a local business, Golden Pond Aquatics run by Sue Golden that does a lot of work with edge bogs using soil in the manner I described. I've been out at their place throughout the summer where they have a bunch of ponds that have been going for years and there is no smell, just clear water and lots of plants.

In addition to the edge bog we will have a 5' in diameter bog filled with pea gravel and plumbed as you have plumbed yours with upwelling water which will fall back into the pond via a pond in between.

If something ultimately goes amiss, I can clear out the edge bog areas and use all pea gravel.

John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that is great! The one edge bog i did was with pea gravel. I was just thinking of how bad the lilies smell when you mess with the dirt they have been in all summer...........

thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Addy1,

She did say to use soil with less organic material, basically plain dirt rather than something from the garden center with a ton of "enriching" additives, or that's what I took from the conversation.

John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy1,

She did say to use soil with less organic material, basically plain dirt rather than something from the garden center with a ton of "enriching" additives, or that's what I took from the conversation.

John

My lilies are just in pure clay no additives, when I mess with the clay they have been in all summer it smells, not knock your socks off smell, but it smells, there is no real water flow through the clay, it just sits wet in the oil pan.

I have read of bogs made that way with dirt, using fabric like landscaping fabric between the dirt and the rocks to keep the dirt from seeping out. All of my bogs, so far, have been built using pea gravel, well the pond bogs, the land bogs have peat in them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi all,

I've been working on my build, slowly as the topic implies, and I've reached the point where the dig is done. Now I'm working on the stream from my filter (150g Rubbermaid stock tank) to the pond. This stream bed will be about 17' to 18' long, but I'm just beginning with it. I'll be ordering pond liner, underlayment, stream liner and pump, hopefully, this week. I'll put up pictures shortly.

Obviously I've changed my plans from having an above ground, earthen bog filter to a more skippy-like filter -- I just didn't feel comfortable with the cleaning aspects of the bog setup and with the earthen dikes. Anyway, that's where we're at. My guess is that by late December or January water will be moving! It won't be very pretty initially because the rock will be acquired slowly, but it should be functional.

John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Here I am just about finished with the initial dig. Haven't formed the stream yet but that's coming.

Attachments

• 2011-11-27_10-27-26_117.jpg
    2011-11-27_10-27-26_117.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 388
  • 2011-11-27_11-12-41_375.jpg
    2011-11-27_11-12-41_375.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 351

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How big did you say it was going to be as that looks bigger than your original 6x12 and looks a lot deeper .But another neat hole and at least you are thinking about everything twice as your doing it .I know it took me a month just to dig the hole and plan ho I was going to build up the sides .Then my poor son had to come in and put in all the electric and since then he has been trying to figure out a better filter system idea .He seems to not like my filters ,but they work thats all that counts ..

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You're getting there and nice that you have temperate Cali. weather to build all winter. Heave ho now and on w/ the show
workman5.gif

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
j.w.; your 'posted image' didn't post. Those computer gremlins again? John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think there are definitely some kind of zombies in this forum eating things up now and then and spitting them back out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Sissy, yes it is a little bigger, but with somewhat wide shelves that make it look even bigger. The depth will range from 26" to about 30" and it will be about 1,300 gallons although I won't know for sure until I get the liner in and fill it.

JW, yes the weather allows for there to be virtually no concern with ice forming and it has been dry these last few weeks.

I worked on the stream bed today and will be ordering liner this coming week. We're getting there.

John

Ask a Question