My fish have all died after a new liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can raise the KH with baking soda, sodium bicarbonate. You probably have some in a kitchen cabinet. The dose is one cup per 1000 gallons. It's best to mix it with water and pour it into the pond.
I've a big bag of PH up ( most likely to be an expensive bag of baking soda ) but I only added 100 ml and then I thought I'd test the next morning and add more as I was worried about putting to much in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm assuming the ammonia level is zero because I'd just done a completely full water change. Some of the fish were swimming at the top as if there's a lack of oxygen and then the ones that are still alive are swimming on the sides and not using there left side fin. The bodies look fully intact but have lost there colour
You did a full water change before or after the fish died?

The living fish are still the correct color? Can you get pictures of them?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It may not be the new liner that caused the problem. How small were the buckets you had the fish in and how long were they in them? Small containers heat up fast and deplete o2 levels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm wondering if the chlorine was treated properly. For the fish to die what seems like very quickly, maybe they were poisoned by the remaining chlorine.

I'm just guessing, throwing out as many ideas that come to mind and don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence...
When the OP mentions Ph up, it reminds me of the chemicals I use for my pool. I hope they are not using a bunch of pool products. I'm no chemist and I'm guessing all chemicals are same, but pool products may be more concentrated or have other additives that are toxic for fish.

I'm an all natural type of ponder, as many here are, and stay far away from any "additives". I prefer to let nature work things out. I can help nature by making sure all the proper components are present, but I don't add any chemicals or bacteria. The only thing I use is dechlorinizer and when I do, I make sure I'm adding the exact ratio listed on the bottle. I do this with a $20 water meter that attaches to the end of my hose.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@poconojoe The OP said “KH up,” rather than pH up. I figured it was something like baking soda, but sold commercially for ponds (so they could charge more for it in the retail market). Yes, I was about to question that as well, but figured it out after I did a search for it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It may not be the new liner that caused the problem. How small were the buckets you had the fish in and how long were they in them? Small containers heat up fast and deplete o2 levels.
I don’t think it was the liner, either, but more along the lines of going instantly from a mature liner to one without any slimy, bacterial and algae coating. I believe th OP said the fish were in the buckets for about 4 hours. I didn’t ask about aeration or shade for those buckets, so don’t know about that.

Oh, now I see the post about PH up. That came after the original mention of KH up, so not sure what was used.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@poconojoe The OP said “KH up,” rather than pH up. I figured it was something like baking soda, but sold commercially for ponds (so they could charge more for it in the retail market). Yes, I was about to question that as well, but figured it out after I did a search for it.
Oh, my bad... I thought I saw Ph up! 62 year old eyes transmitting to 62 year old brain....sometimes it just doesn't compute correctly!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That makes sense. The buckets were small but as it wasn't a full day I thought it would ok. It was around 4 hours(ish)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering if the chlorine was treated properly. For the fish to die what seems like very quickly, maybe they were poisoned by the remaining chlorine.

I'm just guessing, throwing out as many ideas that come to mind and don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence...
When the OP mentions Ph up, it reminds me of the chemicals I use for my pool. I hope they are not using a bunch of pool products. I'm no chemist and I'm guessing all chemicals are same, but pool products may be more concentrated or have other additives that are toxic for fish.

I'm an all natural type of ponder, as many here are, and stay far away from any "additives". I prefer to let nature work things out. I can help nature by making sure all the proper components are present, but I don't add any chemicals or bacteria. The only thing I use is dechlorinizer and when I do, I make sure I'm adding the exact ratio listed on the bottle. I do this with a $20 water meter that attaches to the end of my hose.
I added the declorinater a bit at a time as the pond fill up so I could get the fish back in quicker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You did a full water change before or after the fish died?

The living fish are still the correct color? Can you get pictures of them?
Before I put the fish back in. I couldn't store the original pond water. The two remaining fish are not moving much and are staying hidden which isn't like them. Their colour is perfect

Ask a Question