My goldfish pond

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
What is this "too large pond" you speak of? I don't believe that's an actual possibility! haha!

Absolutely gorgeous nighttime view! And if you had koi, you'd be able to see them from up there!
I have similar thoughts except in reverse! lol mostly I should've built my fence further into the yard to allow room for more ponds in my garden when I redid the fence. Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Whenever I have a tuber break off a lily and I throw it in the pond to free float, it end up in the skimmer :( Hey, maybe I'm on to something, lilies in the skimmer basket !

This summer I have a deck pond and it's brought me so much enjoyment. I'd like to fins a way to over winter the plants. I toy with building a small water garden, but in truth don't feel like taking on a project right now. Tomorrow is hubby's first official day of retirement....may be he feels like digging :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Whenever I have a tuber break off a lily and I throw it in the pond to free float, it end up in the skimmer :( Hey, maybe I'm on to something, lilies in the skimmer basket !

This summer I have a deck pond and it's brought me so much enjoyment. I'd like to fins a way to over winter the plants. I toy with building a small water garden, but in truth don't feel like taking on a project right now. Tomorrow is hubby's first official day of retirement....may be he feels like digging :eek:
Tula good luck to your husband on all the exciting and fun things he can do now. Whenever I retire my smartphone will go into retirement too or at least the constantly checking my e-mail!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey Gemma. I would suppose once they are a certain variety of fish they are always the same variety even if something happens to them and they changed somehow. I did some reading on Koi losing their color and according to what I read it relates to three things; genetics, stress, and spawning. I thought this was pretty informative.
http://koionline.forumotion.com/t796-why-do-koi-lose-its-red
No doubt she loses a bit more color with every spawning, so I agree stress could be triggering the loss of color, and genetically speaking it isn't of great quality fish, It was way too red when I got it, I think the red was forced onto this fish through color enhanced foods and whatever else they might do to make fish look more brilliantly colored.
I'm also wondering if my very high PH could be contributing to the loss of color.but wouldn't that effect the red in all the koi? This fish is the only fish shedding color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Tula good luck to your husband on all the exciting and fun things he can do now. Whenever I retire my smartphone will go into retirement too or at least the constantly checking my e-mail!
He just came in with a look of disbelief......he said " I guess I'm officially retired, they've turned off my work e-mail and phone." .....he looked a little stunned.;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He just came in with a look of disbelief......he said " I guess I'm officially retired, they've turned off my work e-mail and phone." .....he looked a little stunned.;)
It is a shock to your working all your life brain. I replaced working with fun working, ponds, yards, critters, etc when I retired early.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
reason I retired when I was 50 and hubby was 51 was to enjoy a calmer side of life .I hate to leave home and enjoy the peace and love watching things grow and change .I like to visit friends back in NJ but can do with out the hassle and traffic and noise .Had to get used to no streetlights here but now it does not bother me .Plus so much cheaper here .Thousand dollars in taxes for 3+ acres verses 12 thousand on an acre in NJ I can live with .I had been working all my life ,first on family organic farm and the 16 got a real job that paid real money to me .Now I am 65 and thankfully healthy .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was with my hospital 37 years, they almost did not hire me, said I was too educated for the job. The other 4 hospitals would not hire me. The job required a high school diploma, I had a masters in science.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sissy, I hope one day when I retire it will be peaceful. Been from the country it took me a long time to get used to city lights. You sound like a smart, brave lady to retire, and move long distance to somewhere that facilitated your early retirement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sissy, I hope one day when I retire it will be peaceful. Been from the country it took me a long time to get used to city lights. You sound like a smart, brave lady to retire, and move long distance to somewhere that facilitated your early retirement.

Hmm... very interesting how the conversation switched to retirement. I'm 51 months from retirement with full social security and my wife is less time than that. I actually have been giving a lot of thought if being retired from work would be right for me. I always thought of retirement as being able to work when you chose too, but I'm guessing that's not everyone's definition. Also I'm lucky that I run my own business so I have a lot of leeway to set my own schedule. Lately I water our garden for 45 minutes every morning and afternoon because it's been so dry here! I couldn't do that at a normal 9-5 job! I have always been an entrepreneur so it would be weird to not have some sort of business or venture I'm working on. Also even though we have been lucky to plan our finances so that I can afford to quit work at retirement age, having the extra income would enable us to spend additional money on ourselves and help our children and their families. It would be interesting to have a lot of free time to pursue all my hobbies, but I'm guessing that I can still do most of them if I cut down my work hours somewhat. My wife really wants to travel a lot so that is one thing that is hard to do when you have your own business. We have found a way to fit in some nice trips the last few years, but it is not always easy to do. So in summary I'm pretty conflicted and am giving the whole issue a lot of thought!
Oh by the way ....got my two Sanke Koi today. They are pretty small.. only 5 inches but have really nice coloration. The sumi (black) is mostly very light and as it darkens I think these will be beautiful fish. They adjusted to the pond immediately and fit in with the goldfish easily. Size wise they are probably 50 percentile with the other 50 or so fish so they are definitely not too large at this point. I'm hoping that by starting out as smaller Koi they adjust well to the pond and do better than the Koi I lost over the winter. Pictures to come!

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Hmm... very interesting how the conversation switched to retirement. I'm 51 months from retirement with full social security and my wife is less time than that. I actually have been giving a lot of thought if being retired from work would be right for me. I always thought of retirement as being able to work when you chose too, but I'm guessing that's not everyone's definition. Also I'm lucky that I run my own business so I have a lot of leeway to set my own schedule. Lately I water our garden for 45 minutes every morning and afternoon because it's been so dry here! I couldn't do that at a normal 9-5 job! I have always been an entrepreneur so it would be weird to not have some sort of business or venture I'm working on. Also even though we have been lucky to plan our finances so that I can afford to quit work at retirement age, having the extra income would enable us to spend additional money on ourselves and help our children and their families. It would be interesting to have a lot of free time to pursue all my hobbies, but I'm guessing that I can still do most of them if I cut down my work hours somewhat. My wife really wants to travel a lot so that is one thing that is hard to do when you have your own business. We have found a way to fit in some nice trips the last few years, but it is not always easy to do. So in summary I'm pretty conflicted and am giving the whole issue a lot of thought!
Oh by the way ....got my two Sanke Koi today. They are pretty small.. only 5 inches but have really nice coloration. The sumi (black) is mostly very light and as it darkens I think these will be beautiful fish. They adjusted to the pond immediately and fit in with the goldfish easily. Size wise they are probably 50 percentile with the other 50 or so fish so they are definitely not too large at this point. I'm hoping that by starting out as smaller Koi they adjust well to the pond and do better than the Koi I lost over the winter. Pictures to come!
Keith do you have anyone you could promote trust/cost wise to run your business leaving you in more a consultatory role that would allow you to set your own hours but be able to travel as your wife wants? I see all sides to your dilemma having worked at my family's restaurant since I was 14 & seeing my dad still not fully retired at 75/76. Our produce supplier is also a family run business & the dad is the same as mine, still involved somewhat every day. Could also be that he has no hobbies either. Your 4 years out yet, so plenty of time to groom someone for the position. Possibly too early to approach them about it unless you can figure out a timeline to incrementally increase their responsibilities & pay from now until then to keep them interested & around. Look on the bright side tho, you've got time to think it over & don't have to decide tomorrow!

Ask a Question