My Goldies are being bullies

Reaction score
I don't know what spawning looks like, and maybe that's what's going on...but is it normal for them to be racing around, either chasing after or running from...continuosly? There is one in particular that is being bullied by several of the other same fish. I'm worried they will hurt that fish, or it's gonna hurt itself trying to get away.
And if they are spawning, how long does it usually last? They don't do this all the time, right? All the fish are going crazy after each other. Should I be doing something to help? The biggest fish I have is the biggest bully. Should i take that fish out? Put him in the jail house tank?

Reaction score
That sounds like spawning to me.

Our oldest female goldfish goes through this at least three times a year. In my pond it seems to last a few hours. I have never removed any of the fish as it is a natural process.

Here is some video of our fish spawning in our pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep that's the old spawning ritual and if you have plenty of plants or roots hanging down from plants or nooks and crannies where some of the eggs can be well hidden from them then you will end up w/some babies eventually. Not much you can do but wait it out and hope nobody gets hurt. Sharp rocks are the worst culprit cuz they dash up against them at times trying to unload the eggs or run from the males. So hopefully no sharp things around the surface of the pond. They can run a female ragged and if she looks like she is really getting worn out you can place her in a resting area for awhile............like a netted floating ring, to let her gain her strength back. Sometimes this happens when they pick on only one female and there aren't a lot of others to share the fun. If you can supply some kind of hiding places for her to go into like a bunch of floating plants then she will find refuge in those also.

EH I tried to view the video but it kept saying "An error occurred. Please try again later." Maybe you tube is just very busy today?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
EH I was able to view that one and the fish almost look like they could get stuck up there on dry land if they aren't careful but they seem to be able to manage to get out of that mass of plantings just fine! I bet lots of your babies survive and how many fish do you think you have in there?
I'm hoping mine do some spawning this year w/ the Shubbies I put in there last yr and the yr before. They might still be too small but we'll see.

Hey 42 let the spawning begin and hope you get lots of babies that is if you want them otherwise off to the drug store for teeny tiny condoms :LOL: :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish:

Reaction score
I am afraid to know how many fish we have. We started with 4 lost one and now... I would say there are around 30 to 40 over 1.5 inches and who knows how many under that size. I look at some of my underwater video and I just see lots of little fry in my oxygenator plant. I try and give some away every year. I made a fish trap by putting netting around a milk crate. I put a small hole in the netting by one of the handles and leave the rim above the water. The fish being fish will find their way in but can’t figure out how to get out. I can then come out with my net to put any of my nice guys back in the pond and give away the rest. This way I am not stressing them out trying to catch them with a net.

Yes 42 if you have enough hiding places you will have some more fish. You won’t see them for quite a while as they will be in hiding until they get bigger

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I have about that many that I can count...........hard to tho as they move constantly and aren't all together at the same time. I see little ones too and then I wonder how many? I think I will have to start adopting mine out someday too keeping my bigger ones and the ones w/ more than just the solid oj. I like your idea on how to catch them and will remember that when the time comes...............thanks :razz:

Reaction score
Origionally I built the pond last August for my turtles. Never have had fish, but in December someone here on the forum was having to move and looking to find a home for the goldfish. And, giving the pond, with all things in (rocks, plants, filter) away too. They were 2 hours from me so i thought, why not...my pond was big enough.
The litle pond you see in the pics is where there had been 12 big goldies (4-7 in) and 24 babies about 1 1/2 in. All in that little pond. My pond is 9 x 11 and 18-22 inches deep and i can count up to 25 fish before loosing track. That's alot of fish running all over the pawn place.
I have a few pieces of terra cotta, used for ceptic tank run-off, that never got used. They are big enough for one, or two at a time one behind the other, to fit. That would work for a hiding place, wouldn't it? I don't have many plants yet, but maybe too many fish.
They are starting to get spunky...better go find those clay cylinders.
me 006.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As everyone says dont worry about things , it just proves that spring is in the air and mating is on their mindss lol.
The only time you should remove a female is if you have a ratio of far too many males in the pond to females....
If you think thats bad, koi are rougher in the mating game than goldfish with damage often occuring

rgrds

Dave

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah ..spawning is little more than a "gang rape" situation! the female taking all the abuse. the persuit can be relentless. even as some males may take a break (usually just to gobble up the eggs released) theres always more to keep her nexhausted and trying to get a moments peace or rest. i've seen my koi go pretty much non stop for a full day at a time.

Reaction score
They are still to shy to come out during the day, unless I'm feeding. But, about an hour before dusk...the party begins. And, goes on untill around midnight. That's when I go out to shut down the lights, and they all look like they are exhausted, just hanging still at the bottom of the pond. But, who knows what goes on...when the lights go off :luxlove: :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish:

Reaction score
Well, tonight they are not being so wild, just a couple pesty ones still bothering the same single fish. How big do they have to get, before they become interested in spawning? I don't think I want a pond full of crazy chasing, head banging fish flippin fins over who's getting the eggs first!
I should try to find homes for some of the babies, now. I think they are about a year old, or so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This may be a time that you could use quite wisely in identifying the males from the females in goldfish its quite an easy task, not so in koi.
Once you have found out who is who in the pond seperate them off after mating and see just who's gene wise then introduce traits that you yourself want to breed into your pond from the males you want.
I;e should you wish to breed say subunkins (Bristol or London) get the best male you can yjen add him to the pond.
After a while these new traits will start to come to the fore then you have a goldfish of your own making, however sadly culling would have to be employed.....

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question