My pond photos

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was able to finish digging out the bog another 6" and install the liner yesterday. Today I am going to work on the plumbing and see if I can get some gravel delivered today. I also found what looks like will be a good spillway rock you can barely see it in the second pic on its side in the background.
P1030951.JPGP1030952.JPGP1030955.JPG

I heard this guy croaking throughout the day and was finally able to see where he was hiding under my bridge.
P1030971.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that looks like a nice big flat rock for your spillway .And haro if you manage to get that 500 lb rock you will have to be the hulk in disguise as a mild mannered garden store guy lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looking good tmann! Love that frog.............he is a biggy! That would be a neat photo for the contest!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neato frog tmann! bog looking like it is going good.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
that looks like a nice big flat rock for your spillway .And haro if you manage to get that 500 lb rock you will have to be the hulk in disguise as a mild mannered garden store guy lol
Guess what, Sissy.... I GOT IT!!! One of the guys was using a lift truck, so I rolled the rock onto a small skid, and he put it in the back of my Sonoma. Hell of a thing to get out, though. Good thing my dear wife was there to help. Now I have to get it from the driveway to the pond (about 150').
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well we need to see a picture! and one of you moving it.................and where it ends up.

Good job on getting it

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Todd, a couple of things I learned that you might want to consider in your plumbing. 1- Cut slots in the bottom pipe, Drilling holes is not the best route! Addy told me after the fact and I didn't remember from my readings. My mistake! Which means at I'll be tearing it down and cleaning far sooner than if I had cut the slots in the first place. 2- Input at one end, back flush valve at the other. Putting the input in the middle for some reason sends more water in one direction over the other. One side of my bog already back flushes, the other side still does not have enough back pressure to flush at all. 3- Make sure and have a way to flush the gravel really good before it starts in the pond, I could not believe how much mud was in prewashed gravel! I had to rinse 2 cubic yards by hand and it still got really muddy when I started pumping water up through the bog.
I'll tell you though, I've been really impressed by how well the system is working so far in my application.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Larkin. I remember Addy saying that about the slits in the pipe and went back and reread her bog instructions. I have to find the pea gravel now. What size pea gravel did you use?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, pea gravel, I guess about the size of big green English peas. Some larger gravel was mixed in but most was pretty consistent. I guess 1/4"? BTW, just watched your video, I'm jealous, Your lilies are already out growing mine and I'm a lot further south! Looks good!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Larkin. I remember Addy saying that about the slits in the pipe and went back and reread her bog instructions. I have to find the pea gravel now. What size pea gravel did you use?

They sale the stuff at home depot/lowes in the garden area, they also have it in the construction area. I bought mine from a rock supplier, but then I needed 28000 lbs.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...=10053&langId=-1&keyword=gravel&storeId=10051

This is the size, this one is all gray
http://www.dependable-mulch.com/gravel-nj/

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I finally got the bog up and running. Today my wife and I moved 2 1/2 cubic yards of pea gravel to the bog. In order to get the gravel as clean as possible I drilled a lot of holes in a 5 gallon bucket, then I scooped it up in a shovel hosed it off while it was still on the shovel then dumped it in the bucket. Let it drain while I was getting another scoop and hosing it off then dumped that one in. I would fill the bucket up and initially I would stick the hose in the bucket and wash it out one more time, but found after a few times this was not needed as it was pretty clean. After the bucket was full I dumped it in the wheel barrow. Once the wheel barrow was full I ran it up to the bog and dumped it in. It took two of us 9 hours to get all the gravel in the bog. We got most of the dirt and dust off the gravel b/c once I turned it on for the first time the water in the bog was clear within a minute.

Here are some pics

This is looking at the bog from the one side and you can see my pipe clean out that needs to be cut down to size.
P1030997.JPG

Another shot and this one you can see where my pipe enters the bog, will need to paint these and hide them with some large rocks.
P1030998.JPG

This is my large flat rock, the water does not quite flow like I want it so will be tweaking it at some time to get the water coming over the way I want.
P1030999.JPG

Another shot of my pipes and bog
P1040001.JPG

This is where I had to cut my existing pipe and put a Y so I could divert the water to the bog. I put on two ball valves so that I can control the flow to the bog or my filter and get the right amount of water flowing from each. On the bog line I also put in a sump pump backflow preventer to keep it from draining in case of a power outage.
P1030996.JPG

This is the how the water is currently coming over the rock, but I will be fixing it as it is not quite how I want i
P1040002.JPG

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Tomorrow I will plant some plants and possibly trim the liner down some. I still have a 1/2 cubic yard of pea gravel in my driveway that I am not sure what I am going to do with it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Guess what, Sissy.... I GOT IT!!! One of the guys was using a lift truck, so I rolled the rock onto a small skid, and he put it in the back of my Sonoma. Hell of a thing to get out, though. Good thing my dear wife was there to help. Now I have to get it from the driveway to the pond (about 150').
John
determined and your poor wife .It may end up being driveway art ,if there is such a thing .You invented something new then art for your driveway just don't back into it .And your poor truck .Have pity on them both

Ask a Question