That looks just wonderful! peasceful and great

picture post card pretty

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A few updated pics of my pond. In these pics you can see all the water lettuce and hyacinth.

I started out with two of each, and the water lettuce was no bigger than a half dollar.
P1040373.JPG

P1040368.JPGP1040365.JPG

Here is a pic of one of our friends
P1040201.JPG

This is my tree in the pond with it's first nut.
P1040367.JPG

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here are a few of my pics of my bog.

Attachments

• P1040209.JPG
    P1040209.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 197
  • P1040210.JPG
    P1040210.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 226
  • P1040211.JPG
    P1040211.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 209
  • P1040212.JPG
    P1040212.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 209

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice! my taro is still small this year, slowly slowly growing. Love the squirrel

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks great and stuff sure is growing great! Wish I could grow water plants here like that. I like your new friend too :razz:
Will that nut on your tree grow another tree if you plant it?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
You must have a really long growing season there, when did you first put the lettuce in your pond? Water lettuce would take me two years to get it that big here, we can't put the lettuce in pond till mid June or so, cause water is still so cold then.

Can you eat that nut on that tree?

nice pictures! :)

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Looks great and stuff sure is growing great! Wish I could grow water plants here like that. I like your new friend too :razz:
Will that nut on your tree grow another tree if you plant it?
Actually I think it is more like a cone of some sort, and it should grow another tree. It will fall off in november or december and then usually opens up in february to drop all the tiny seeds in it.

You must have a really long growing season there, when did you first put the lettuce in your pond? Water lettuce would take me two years to get it that big here, we can't put the lettuce in pond till mid June or so, cause water is still so cold then.

Can you eat that nut on that tree?

nice pictures! :)
I put them in around the first or second week of may and they really take off. Majority of the lettuce are from my indoor aquarium where they grow max to the size of a half dollar but are more like a quarter size. I just take them out by the handfulls and throw them in the pond, the fish eat most of them now, but if I throw them in the creeks where the fish can't get to them they multiply like crazy.

I don't think you would want to eat it. it is more like a cone of some sort.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Koiguy...

The water lettuce and hyacinths that are in those pics are only about 1/2 of what i have, the other half is in my creeks and falls pool. They grow best there and when they begin to choke the creek too much I pull them out and throw them into the big pond where the fish can nibble on them.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looking really good there! I like how the lettuce and hyacinths are growing on the one side of the bridge. looks like a neat area for the koi to cool off. Been a while since I have grown a lettuce that big. this year for some reason that stopped growing at about the size of my hand but are still deep green, no yellow leaves yet. :)

H

humbirdlover

Hi Tmann. I have spend the most part of the day going thru your showcase and this thread. I have to say you have one of the best looking ponds, streams and outdoor areas, I have ever seen. It just looks so natural, like nature made it that way. all your filters and plumbing are so well hidden, I had to look hard, to see it when you were finished. Did I say finished? LOL I think you will never be finished, you love it too much and will always be adding new or re arranging. I wish I had just a smiggen of the vision you have. I just have a small 450 gallon pond, in a corner next to the house, and it looks like a puddle next to yours. Thank you so much for taking the time to document all your work, so we can also enjoy all you have done. and I'm really glad you went with the bridge, perfect addition :)

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks humbirdlover. Yeah it has been a lot of work and I don't think i will ever be done. I was out there yesterday ripping stuff out and changing things. I always use the winter months to plan on what I am going to change for the following summer. Next year I might add back a small pond that I ripped out a few years ago, go figure changing my mind again. :surprised: That is what makes it fun though. the reason I want a smaller pond is for the frogs, it seems as though their population has declined once my koi got bigger, could just be a coincidence who knows. I added the bog this year and absolutely love it, wish I would have done it years ago. Another thing I am thinking of doing is adding a carnivorous bog somewhere in my yard, just need to find the perfect spot.

Thanks again for the nice comments.

Ask a Question