sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
was wondering about the budda now that winter is here have you ever had ice push at or cause it to crack or freeze the cement .i had that happen to a fountain and a bird bath .They just sort fell apart slowly

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nope never had a problem with the freezing temps cracking buddah, he just sits on his happy little pedestal of rocks surrounded by the tranquil water.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I was looking earlier at the pic you posted for pic of the month and the pic from almost the exact same spot back in May. What a difference between seasons!!!! Oh My Gosh! You know I didn't even realise how close your neighbors were to the rear of you until I saw the house with the snow on it. then went back and looked at the early constuction pics and saw just how much view of that house you had before the transformation. LOTS better viewing!!!!!!!! The wife was surprised at how much snow, LOL considering we just had our third below freezing night last night for the WHOLE season! She was pretty amazed of the blanket of white, all we have is a blanket of dead grass!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Alright so I have been doing some thinking and I want to add a small dock to my pond. I have attached a photo of where I am thinking about putting the dock. The red lines are the outlines of where I am thinking about the dock, the blue lines are where my drainage and sprinkler lines are, and so the yellow line is where I have to anchor the deck into the ground at.

So here are my questions and am looking for suggestions.
1. I can either put two posts into the ground next to my sidewalk and then at the other end put two posts that are attached to some sort of cement block or something similar that sit on the bottom of the pond. The challenge here is that the pond is not perfectly level on the bottom here.

2. The other option is that I make the dock where it is cantilevered over the pond, therefore anchoring the side that is over land to four posts into the ground. But based on some research it does not appear as though I have enough land to do it. For every 1' of overhang they say you need 2' over land, and based on this and the room I have my dock will be a measly 3' long with 1' over the pond.

3. Another option instead of using wood posts to support it in the pond I could use some sort of metal pipe, maybe like fencing, but I am not sure this will fit into everything else in my backyard and don't want it to come off cheap.

4. I thought about using some real pieces of tree that I could find somewhere and that are straight, this might make it look more unique. then for the actual dock material I could find some rough sawn wood for the planks but then you might get splinters on your feet if you are out there in the summer barefoot.

5. what about the location of the dock, yes or no?

6. Instead of a dock I also thought about building a bridge to go over to the other side of the pond, it would only be about 18" wide as to not cover up the entire pond. If you look at the pic it would start on the same rock the dock is drawn on but go to the other side just to the left of my dogs head and over the fish that is in the water.

Comments welcomed!
Thanks

Attachments

• Pond dock.jpg
    Pond dock.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 319

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that doggie of yours is tempting fate .I think a bridge would be great you can get across the pond and also look down on the fish and you can sit on the edge of it and also do any work you have to do from there .Plus it is a great place to put lights to light up the middle of the pond from above to down .Thats why i like my bridge I have LED lights under it shooting down on the pond ,plus you can turn and aim them around

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The dock would be cool but the bridge would be also and the bridge seems as tho it would be easier in your situation to build. It would make some nice shade for the fish to hang out under too like sissy suggested.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I was entranced watching your video tmann. With the birds chirping, wind chimes jingling and the beauty of everything in bloom you can't get much better than that. I think I may have said this before but your place is like a park! You really outdid yourself on all your pond work and landscaping. Nice big pretty koi and goldfish. How deep is your pond? Did you say you ever have problems w/ heron or? Can't remember except for the raccoons.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like the dock. With more than one cut and measuring if you work like me, you could get the supports cut to the right length, even with an uneven bottom to the pond. Place the supports on some dense rubber material to protect the liner. There was a thread in there somewhere, last year, that showed a pond with a bridge and supports. Don't recall what they used though.

Ask a Question