My pond photos

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Tmann,
I like the dock idea as well since you already have a bridge in the background running over the stream. How much room do you have to work with between the yellow line and the sidewalk? I never thought about how much I have anchoring my deck on land that overhangs the pond, but I did it using 4x4s double anchored like you said about 2' down and cemented in place to give them some weight/anchorage. So far so good, but not sure if you would have enough to pull it off, but what about 4 posts set in the area between the yellow line and the sidewalk to give it stability and then 2 more set on the rocks on the edge of the pond to help with the support issue? Not sure how stable the rocks are there, otherwise I say go with addy's idea and just have 2 different length supports in the water to handle the sloping issue. Just a thought, not sure on the feasibility of it all, but if you are looking for the easy solution, your bridge might be easier, unless the span is too long. Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Herz,
I only have about 18" max between the sidewalk and where all my drain/sprinkler lines run. So my thinking if I do a dock is to put two posts between that area, and like you suggested use that big rock and the dock would rest on this as I don't think that rock has moved an inch since I placed it 7 years ago. It should be stable enough if I do it that way. May do a small experiment first before doing the real thing, like they do on mythbusters. :razz:

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Herz,
I only have about 18" max between the sidewalk and where all my drain/sprinkler lines run. So my thinking if I do a dock is to put two posts between that area, and like you suggested use that big rock and the dock would rest on this as I don't think that rock has moved an inch since I placed it 7 years ago. It should be stable enough if I do it that way. May do a small experiment first before doing the real thing, like they do on mythbusters. :razz:

They would be side by side, but you could put 2 posts in a line in that 18" area, just to give it some stability and then put the posts resting on the rock for the extended support. If anything I would leave the 2 of the back posts (that are in the ground) rising above the decking of the dock and then the 2 posts that rest on the rock, to give it that cool dock look. If you go the mythbusters route, just don't blow anything up like they occasionally do! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw a pond on the news the other night the people live in Mineral VA and that is where the earthquake was and they had damage to there pond and they have been getting help from volunteers since to help save the fish .They found that they had shifting under the pond and did not notice it until the weather got cold and then hot and it must have shifted from frost heave and the earthquake .Scary I never it thought of that .I guess now with the quake going on all over another thing to think about .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks toniJ still a work in progress but the projects are getting smaller and smaller. Thinking about adding a bog this year, but still in the planning stages

Reaction score
Awesome pond..love that pergola/pagoda.....ive been wanting one for a couple of years now but...BF is not a carpenter....and i'm not hiring out to a contractor...i'm cheap..lol..

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am cheap too. I think the whole thing cost me about $500 in supplies, that was 8 or 9 years ago. I have grape vines growing on it but plan to change them out this year b/c once the grapes are almost ripe the raccoon comes and makes a horrible mess on my patio. Thinking about trying Arctic kiwis but they may not grow that fast.​

Reaction score
  • maybe try a non-fruiting vine.. I like crossvines..i have a tangerine beauty i started last year, hoping it really takes off this year..I used to have a crossvine called shalimar or chalimar..it was GORGEOUS and i kick myself in the butt for not saving it when i tore down a trellis, i cant find that color anymore..its mostly evergreen too..just a thought... Back to the pergola.. I may recruit a friend to help build one, after the pond gets situated...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We call that Trumpet Vine here. I've just got the old orange one. Drops all it's leaves here tho. That Shalimar one is a beauty!

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
todd do you have any kind of a local garden walk? we have one here through the green bay botanical gardens where they showcase 5-6 local gardens on a walking tour every summer, if you have anything like that around you, you should try to enter your garden to be a part of the walk, it definitly would qualify for the one we have here

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Herz.

We do have some sort of garden walk we went on one year but 90% of these were professionally done and I like to see what the DIYer is doing so mine would not fit into that group. Now we have a pond walk in one weekend in the summer but we have been on vacation the last several times it has happened.

My yard has been 8 years of work, there are still a lot of things that I would like to do but I am running out of yard! :rolleyes:

Ask a Question