My pond runs all winter, zone 2/3

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
@callingcolleen1 All I can say is that you amaze me w/all that you do with your greenhouse, ponds and gardens! Brrrrrrrrr, it looks so cold there but your stuff looks so warm undercover. Outstanding!
I'm alive and everything doing awesome. No ice on koi ponds either. Just covering with plastic cold frame makes the one heater much more effective

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
You did such a great job with the roof ! How did you manage on your own, or did you have some help ?
I do it all myself. I have latter and move one piece of lumber at time, screw down and then run the plastic down the edge. It's not that hard and a very simple design. I'm a one woman show.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
So today in the frozen north, slowly warming up to only -18 Celsius right now, but yesterday was the coldest day this year I think, It was reported to be down to -36 Sunday night and lots of cars would not start and my friends her pipes froze in her kitchen. Hubbies car would not shift into gear until he put fan heater to warm up engine and my heat indicator i my car was frozen on high but it was ice cold, works now ok as it warmed up today.
Everything was going wrong and my heater on my koi ponds died...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
WOW, that is some crazy cold! I don' t think it got that cold for so long when I lived in Edmonton long ago. You were very lucky to find that heater for sale, most places are sold out. Hope it warms up soon and glad your fish are doing OK, this is a Winter we all won't soon forget.
Barb

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It turns out the old heater though the breaker downstairs, and the pumps are on a different circuit so all the pumps were fine and still running under the water during the extreme cold weather last week. I have the heater on a separate circuit so they were not affected. I would be more worried if the pumps went out and the still water would freeze up very quick with9ut the running water.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Makes me happy to see your ponds all running good and such pretty fish and plants all growing in such cold temps but cozy'd up under cover!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Spring will be here soon! Every day the sun grows bigger and brighter. It's now daylight by 721 am and not dark till well after 6 pm. Tomorrow will be 7 Celsius. Finally a warmer day at 7 Celsius {42 F} and so I took a look look at guppies are still in stream attached to my pond. Only the Guppies swim upstream, never seen a platy or swordtail fish in the stream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It's amazing to see these fish thriving and plants growing ! How deep is this pond? Are both the stream and pond preformed, or is the stream a liner?

Such a wonderful outlet for the cold winter months !

Ask a Question