My pond runs all winter, zone 2/3

Reaction score
Even with that ice I see you have lots of nice bubbles going on. Great for the fishes! I feel that -7 and -10 is way too cold for this time of year! The climate is sure changing! Last night was -8 here and todays' high for the day is a whopping -1 . I feel I could just skip winter and get right to spring!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, I hate when it looks "alot like Christmas" BEfOrE HaLLoWeeN!!... oh well, all is well with the fish, no heater in yet, supposed to warm up later today and be nicer tomorrow, and should be all gone by Halloween!! Yay!

I think Canadian's are the most excited to see spring, after a long hard winter, I get soooo excited to see the ice melt!!

LOOK... it's snowing again!

Attachments

• IMAG1934.jpg
    IMAG1934.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 287
  • IMAG1939.jpg
    IMAG1939.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 301
  • IMAG1940.jpg
    IMAG1940.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 336
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Looks cold !! I love all the seasons. I too keep my pond running all year. The bio and the bog. No freezing here yet. Can't wait to see the first snow here.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't know Colleen us here in the Northwest look longingly for Spring to arrive...........problem is sometimes it looks like Fall in our Springs and even into Summer w/ all this darn rain we get here! Like this year our Summer didn't hardly start till sometime in August! Course we don't get the brutal cold temps like you guys do and if we manage to get snow it doesn't stick around very long. Had a nice day of cutting more firewood in the sunshine today tho........felt good...........the sunshine that is..........not the wood cutting.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Warmed up big time today, the pond melted all away and lots of snow, was plus 8 or 9 today, back yard is looking mucky though. maybe it will dry quick, before Halloween!

Had to work hard at work last night and when I got home before bed I heard that there was a big earthquake along the northern coast of British Colombia, 7.7, hope that's the last of that, hope it does not shake the "fault lines" down south and rumble in a more populated area.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I'm doing pretty good strengthwise Colleen but seem to be able to keep the weight steady by eating too much after doing such hard work. Need to work more and eat less, not work more and eat more and more :razz:
No Cod Liver Oil for me...................might be a good thing to do when one gets hungry tho as it would take the appetite right out of me! Heard eating or smelling something yucky may make you less hungry. Also heard smelling peppermint helps take your urge to feast away some.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
What have you done to keep your water from turning tea colored from the leaves. I tried to net mine this fall but it was a epic fail for me. I got the net on the pond, but all the leaves fell over a few days and then we got rain. All the net did was act like a giant tea bag. I said screw the leaves, took the net off and scooped out what I could. I need to replace some pond lights so in the spring I was going to drain the water into a el cheapo pool and long with the fish and clean the bottom. Not like power wash anything, but get out what I can and pump the water back in from the pool.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Cool topic, keep it up. How far is your location to US border?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Wayne, it not too far to the border from here, about two hours drive to the Wild Horse boarder, along the Alberta / Montana boarder.

Brandon, my pond always has a tea colored look in spring, from all the left over leaves, but the huge pond sedges that I have suck the color fast from the pond in the spring when they start to grow, and they do grow very very fast.

I never would take my pond apart, or suck all the water out, that would distub the natural pond too much. I sting a net over the ponds in the fall to keep the bulk of the leaves out, but many do still get in. I leave some leaves as the wild snails need some. In the spring, I gently net some of the remaining leaves out, with only some of the pond sludge, never all, things that are good for the pond live in that sludge, like snails, leeches, etc.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I tore out my skippy filter last weekend and only have my bog now as my sole filter. The water has already started to clear up since the skippy is out. There was a ton of leaves in it as well as in the bog. Got the bog leaves cleaned out. I still have my pump running. That's a easy job to pull my pump even with everything in hard pipe. I do still go stir up the water with the net to get as many leaves out as I can.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
This evening by the pond, the peaceful lyrics of "water" sound melody slowly played, while the fish they "rested" nicely under the Yellow flag bed

and visions of fat juicy bugs, danced in their head...
Across the water, shadowed in winter, stood the brown grass covered hill,
As the large tree reflected it's naked limbs in the water so still.
Quiet memories of past winter snow,
Hoping winter will peacefully go....
Even if for only today,
I'm glad the ice has melted away.....

How quickly the green can emerge from under the ice,
Is really quite amazing and pleasantly nice!

Open your eyes, LooK and sEE,
Just how preTTy winter can be!

By Me!

Attachments

• IMAG2034.jpg
    IMAG2034.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 293
  • IMAG2033.jpg
    IMAG2033.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 299
  • IMAG2028.jpg
    IMAG2028.jpg