My pond runs all winter, zone 2/3

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Colleen, if that thing is in the water and you get a heavy snowfall, it will flip over and electrocute your fish.
If the CFL's or regular bulbs get wet while turned on, the glass will break and you'll have broken glass and mercury in your pond.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, I thought about that, that would be a concern for sure. You could hook the system up to the GFI and that would prevent getting electrocution. I once dropped a light in the pond while trying to have cheap pond lights years ago, GFI shut power off and I never got zapped.
If you are still worried you could hook the thing up to a transformer as well.

The biggest concern for me would be the bulbs breaking. If one was careful it could be done, although risky. I thought it might work for you Mitch, your out in the middle of no where and no one would mess with it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
My ice thickness would completely consume it.
Any water movement would make it tip over.
My pond breather is CSA certified, works in moving water and uses about 45 watts.
0 fish deaths last winter.

Having an electrical cord resting on the ice means that the cord will melt into the ice somewhat and freeze there until spring.
The guy that made that video lives in a milder climate and I'm always suspicious when someone says "it will work in any climate"...:rolleyes:
That phrase always tells me that they live in a mild climate.:whistle:
;)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hello I am back and here to help those who need sound advice on wintering your pond

Just in case you are not aware, I have been wintering my ponds very successfully since 1991. Been there through some of the harshest extreme weather this lovely planet has to offer. This is Canada folks, minus 40 below happens here. Although this winter I expect will be very mild for me. No winter yet is highly unusual and so far no ice or snow yet. Like this will be the first time ever that I have not had any ice yet!
.stay tuned.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It's not the greatest but it's my first attempt. I used old bendable rods from a old tent to make dome. It was easy peasy and the plants under are still green. This was shot about a couple weeks ago. Tomorrow I will get better pictures in bright sun.

Attachments

• 20151101_100013.jpg
    20151101_100013.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 20151025_085554.jpg
    20151025_085554.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 187

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I only actually covered two of the four ponds I added the new upper pond which is much deeper at 5 feet than the other three (3 foot) deep ponds. I heard local weather reports indicating the winter will be mild with little to no snow. Well my thinking was the semi hardy ponds plants should be maybe ok if we don't get really deep freeze. Just covering the two lower connecting ponds has allowed some plants to remain green. Then I figured cause of the new deeper upper pond, it might be too much for one 1500 watt heater for all four ponds. Running the three connecting ponds all previous winters did well with just the one 1500 watt heater. But now I have the new deeper upper pond to consider. I should save some heat with just the simple plastic domes. This I hope will get me by through winter (with just one 1500 watt) warming now four connecting ponds.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
And now I see outside that it is snowing like crazy right now at 2 am in the morning. I seen to be a night howl these days. That way I can sleep in till sun comes out and warms the earth. (And I work afternoon and evening shifts. I am hoping that snow will be all melted by mid morning. For sure it should be gone by Saturday cause it's warm back up this weekend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hey Colleen, good to see you!! I too was curious why you decided to cover your ponds this year, but read your answer above.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I once covered the ponds about 20 years ago and made a rigged wooden frame and stapled heavy duty clear plastic to wooden frame. That was a long hard winter and that spring I discovered mold spores were everywhere under the water, on the liner and even on the fish!! Once I removed that plastic cover the bright sun burned away all the mold with no visible damage to fish.

This time I think I will be ok cause it should not be long hard winter, and if it gets really cold there won't be really any benifit to covering ponds as the ice and snow cover will be much more effective and this temporary cold frame will be useless after minus 20 Celsius for sure.

But if really cold weather does not come and if winter is very mild then the real benefits will be for the semi hardy plants.

I need to take the hanging nets down next week as leaves are mostly gone now. This weekend daytime temperature should reach plus 15 Celsius! That's like about 60 Fahrenheit.
20151106_104108.jpg
20151106_104112.jpg
20151106_104134.jpg
20151106_104049.jpg

I got some water lettuce still alive and green. Last night's snow is almost gone and sun is shining bright.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Colleen I'm new to this site and read with great interest the first 1.5 years from this thread. I was thrilled to see some of what I am doing has been tested for 22 years. I completed my pond in Aug 2013 and the pond has survived 2 very harsh winters ( I'm located suburbs north of Philadelphia zone 6a/b ). I kept my pump running through the winters because I was concerned the plants in the stream bed would die without constant moisture. It was fascinating to see the ice cap form from the waterfall and as you often describe the water flowing under the ice. My pond surface was frozen several inches deep last Feb except in the waterfall which maintained an opening for gas exchange.

I have been winterizing the last few weeks. I have a 1ft x 2ft grid planted with yellow flag iris bare rooted in the waterfall tub. The last 2 years I have been able to remove this and place it in the deep end of my pond. Well this week end I went to lift it out and couldn't budge the thing. I emptied the water from the tub ( 100gal stock tank)and could not believe the root growth. I also have a few yellow flag iris bare rooted at the streams edges that survived last winter. When I placed the grid in the deep end of my pond I was instructed to cut the leaves down to just above water level. I noticed in one of your pictures that your yellow flag leaves didn't look cut and just browned out thru the winter. So, should I leave them alone or cut them back? Same question for Strawberries and cream. I have parrots feather in a pot in the shallow end of the pond and anacharis submerged. Will they survive the winter?
The winter pic is Jan 2014, , and yellow flag iris in waterfall tub with upper stream July 2015
_DSC0050.JPG
_DSC0575.JPG

I have learned a lot from your thread and not only about ponds.
Thanks for your help
Glenn

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My aracharnis and parrots feather both are in shallow ponds, one only a foot deep, they freeze solid the plants come back fine

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The yellow flag can be cut back if you wish. I never cut mine back because the fish swim under that plant for the winter as it natually floats. I wait till all the leaves are good and dead and then pile them on top of the plant like a bad hair day, so the fish have extra protection and then the snow piles over the top.

In the stream you may want to cut it back so the long stems don't fall all over and block the flow of water. Also yellow flag does tend to get out of hand and then removing it from pond can be difficult. I would recommend you cut it back every other year or so in the stream bed so it does not get too large and block the flow of water in your steam.

I am glad you were able to winter your pond well Glen and more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
I can't really say for sure if your parrots feather will always come back as it is not super hardy but it seams to do well for Addy in her zone. Not sure about the other plants as I have not had them.

Ask a Question