My pond runs all winter, zone 2/3

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Colleen, do you have to knock the snow off the pond cover so the weight doesn't collapse the metal frame?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Today I put another piece of heavy tarp over an area behind my water fall, that wasn't covered by the solar cover. I'm kind of surprised to see them still moving around a little, usually they're hunkered down, on the bottom of the pond.

If nothing else, my pond isn't freezing over and is protected from the wind. I do worry that because it isn't freezing over, that it'll lose the insulative properties of snow and ice....will just have to see :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Colleen, do you have to knock the snow off the pond cover so the weight doesn't collapse the metal frame?
No, it's the perfect slope and most of the snow just slides off. Plus the cattle panel frame is pretty strong and no need for support unless you have a larger area to cover, and then you might need some support.
The top pond is larger so I have two cattle panels together just to make it fit. I used a little wooden brace for support on just the front and back on the larger upper dome. Its pretty strong and the plastic I used is very slippery and snow just slides off.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Today I put another piece of heavy tarp over an area behind my water fall, that wasn't covered by the solar cover. I'm kind of surprised to see them still moving around a little, usually they're hunkered down, on the bottom of the pond.

If nothing else, my pond isn't freezing over and is protected from the wind. I do worry that because it isn't freezing over, that it'll lose the insulative properties of snow and ice....will just have to see :)
Just make sure your cover is not hanging and blocking the flow of your waterfall...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got a preformed at the flea market with a bunch of stuff in it ,including pumps and aerator and every thing was brand new .I am going to put it in a raised bed in my garden .It is a nice heavy duty one so will use it for plants all summer and baby fish .I was going to dig it out now but it has been a busy couple of weeks right now

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Why are you more worried about koi than goldfish in the bottom pond? Is it frozen solid and has less oxygen?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The goldfish are very small compared to the koi. The bigger the fish the more room and oxygen they need. The goldfish are always fine down at the bottom pond as it is heated the same as the rest, but has the ice shell above the water line as that is the bottom pond. All evaporation is shown in the bottom pond as that pond keeps all the rest of the ponds full. The 25 year old koi are precious and need the biggest space with the most oxygen as they are about 10 pounds each. The larger the fish the more oxygen they need..

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Why are you more worried about koi than goldfish in the bottom pond? Is it frozen solid and has less oxygen?
I actually worry about all the fish. But I have wintered them all outside since 1991 and the goldfish will be fine in the bottom pond. The bottom pond is not froze solid, just appears to be froze solid cause it has the ice shell. Maybe tomorrow I will do a underwater video of the bottom pond so nobody worried...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The cold and wind is headed our way but not as bad as hat some are getting .I have to take stuff to goodwill so doing it today since the next 2 days only in the 30's and 20 MPH winds .Did I say I hate cold .Sun will be out so hoping for the best .Pickles has to see the mail lady so have to wait for her to come .He just loves her .

Ask a Question