My pond runs all winter, zone 2/3

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I don't want to cover all the ponds as birds drink out of them all winter. Plus I won't be leaving these covers on past March as I believe direct sun essential in early spring. I did cover the ponds once many years ago but left cover on for too long and mold grew under water on all the edges of ponds and including a film of mold on fish. Once I took the cover off the mold was killed in a day or two by direct sunlight. Fish were all fine and mold disappeared.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Covered ponds look like they are doing just what you want them to do. Staying unfrozen and warmer. Bet you are glad you have your nice mild green house to run to when you are too cold by the ponds. I could almost feel the cold you felt trying to get in there. Just got back from my cold, cold 6 mile walk so I can relate a little bit. Not as cold here tho. Just 37f now and falling to 20f tonight.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It's still so darn cold. I think I am getting too old for this freezing stuff. Got another roll of heavy plastic from hardware store and lumber so I can create another pocket of air on outside of greenhouse roof. Should take me a couple hours to finish in this horrible cold with added wind chill values of minus 26 Celsius.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Some winters are really long here. I remember winters that came first week of October and ground was frozen some years till late April!

Another very cold night. Right now it is minus 24 (-11 Fahrenheit) and getting colder tonight. I have blankets over the domes and roof of greenhouse too. Every little trick helps save energy!
The spot light shines and moves and makes everything really bright without having to actually string the lights.
20161206_185429_HDR.jpg

Got some cool lights for the greenhouse.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am going to cover half of mine but it has been so warm I have yet to do it .I love my rectangular pond it is easy to work with .But if I could get more dirt the one end would not have the retaining wall block .The end near the house I would leave retaining wall block.looks like a kaleidoscope colleen

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Temps. here are already up to 50 degrees .But the chill is headed our way by the weekend they say .Cloudy out so does not feel as warm and it sure won't get as warm as yesterday .I don't know how you do it colleen .It gets down to 40 degrees and I complain ;)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Not sure how I do it, weather seems colder as I get older... Every night this week I climb up on ladder to throw blankets on roof of greenhouse for night. Sun is up and brighter now so in the morning I remove blankets to let sun warm up greenhouse. Last night was so cold I actually turned the heater to high for awhile. Inside greenhouse Last night was about plus 10C or 50F.

Ask a Question