My pond runs all winter, zone 2/3

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Last night was the coldest night yet, and still no ice on the water under the cattle panel cold frames. All four connecting ponds running on one 1500 watt cattle trough heater from Peavy Mart {farmer stock store}
In this video you can catch a look at one of the big barrel filters that I am using. I actually have four EZBio filters, all connected together, 2 barrel filters per side, connected with a T to the filter, all under water....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Looking good Colleen ! How's the greenhouse holding up? My dream would be to have a real green house, with a pond in it ...wouldn't that be cool !

I just came inside from bailing some pockets of water off my solar blanket cover, as it's been raining.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Green house is surviving well even in your way cold temps. It is so pretty in there. Wonder what kind of fishy's you will add to your new aquarium?

I remember that neat idea of camera on a stick from last Summer. Works well!

Stay warm in your Canadian green house. A fun place to have your coffee or vino :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Green house looks good! I think the plastic, windows and heavy curtains are working :)

I have an old ugly solar cover over my pond. I peeked under it today to check on my koi and was surprised to see water celery still growing!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Had to work yesterday. Only got three days off for Christmas... The story of my life Ha ha ha.

Fish are all swimiming around as weather has been nice for this time of the year, hovering just around freezing. Unplugged the big red heater as it is not needed right now. Got to find where I put the green smaller 1200 watt heater and use that instead.
The greenhouse is cosy now that I have second heater for when temperature drops below -20 Celsius. My tropical trees have dropped lots of leaves but hoping they leaf back out once strong spring Sun comes back. Never kept those trees over winter before so we shall see.

Red bananas are doing well But green bananas look half dead. Last year the red bananas looked terrible but transplanted them and now they look good considering it is winter. This is my first winter with the green bananas so we shall see...

Ask a Question