My pond supplies list

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Gordo33 makes a good point - a bottom drain is typically fed into a settlement tank to remove the solid waste before it gets to the filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Only my opinion, but 6 - 8 large koi is too much for an 1800 gallon pond. My pond is 1700 and I'm maxed out with 4 koi. Mine are large, they need room to swim and explore :)

I don't understand your bottom drain design, but I don't have one and am not an expert.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Only my opinion, but 6 - 8 large koi is too much for an 1800 gallon pond. My pond is 1700 and I'm maxed out with 4 koi. Mine are large, they need room to swim and explore :)

I don't understand your bottom drain design, but I don't have one and am not an expert.
Thanks, I will probably only one at the time. With several months in between, I am perfectly fine with just 4, if that is what is needed.

If needed in the fiturf, I can add a settlement chamber. The pumps I am using are designed to handle solids, and push theough filters, which I will need to backwash weekly.

Reaction score
I would love to know what you all think about this:
Like the others have already mentioned, bacteria is not necessary.
Also, you should really research bottom drains a lot more before you get started with the construction. The whole benefit of a bottom drain system over other types of water return mechanisms is having them gravity fed rather than pumped out, meaning the bottom debris and fish poop gently flows through the bottom drain intact and get filtered out (in a settlement tank or sieve, ect.) before it can get blended and mixed up by a pump impeller.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
After reading the skimmer's instructions, I see that it has a set of brushes to catch large debris from the bottom drain. You can actually add a second set if you wanted to increase the load they can capture. They are designed to allow water to pass through to the pumps but catch larger items first. The brushes can be easily pulled out and washed off. I will get a second set and may add a net too. Thanks

Last edited:

Ask a Question