Pond supplies in Iowa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello,

First post, but been lurking all winter (it’s still freaking winter in Iowa, supposed to snow tomorrow!). So I’m looking to build my first pond, nothing ginormous, it’ll be about 10 X 10 or so, 2-3 ft deep and a small/low waterfall. Kids want fish so will probably eventually add some goldfish.

My question is pretty specific to my area, but maybe will be able to get some advice. I’m in the Des Moines metro area of Iowa. I can’t find a retail place that sells pond equipment. One small place on the east side of town has a shelf with some dusty boxes of equipment from when Jimmy Carter was president, and Earl May store has just some Pondmaster pumps. My hail Mary question—any Iowa folk on here know of a place that sells pond supplies? If not, how do you buy your equipment? I like to browse, touch, and feel so shopping 100% online is scary when I’m getting into something so new to me. I wouldn’t know a good pump brand from a bad one.....

Thanks for any help/answers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you have a Home Depot or Lowes store in your area?

They both have pond supplies.

We have multiples of both, I know my local HD doesn’t carry pond supplies, but I can check Lowe’s. Asking because I have no clue—are the products carried by big box stores of good quality? I’m not looking for top of the line stuff, but I don’t usually ever buy the cheapest because I think you usually get what you pay for.

Do most people on here just order equipment online?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We have multiples of both, I know my local HD doesn’t carry pond supplies, but I can check Lowe’s. Asking because I have no clue—are the products carried by big box stores of good quality? I’m not looking for top of the line stuff, but I don’t usually ever buy the cheapest because I think you usually get what you pay for.

Do most people on here just order equipment online?

Thanks!
HD pond stuff is usually in the outside plant area

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The pond liners carried by Lowes & Home Depot are usually 20mil thick, not the best. Pumps are hit and miss, I have bought from both. I think a lot of members do shop on line. That way you can compare prices. Webbs Water Gardens, Foster & Smiths both have good selection and prices.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Order online - ask about brands and you'll get good advice here. I would rather buy from a pond supplier online than a HD or Lowes for this kind of stuff.

I generally am a brick and mortar shopper myself, but sometimes it just makes sense to use the good old internet the way God intended!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, I appreciate the responses. Is there a particular forum I should ask about brands in?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like Laguna brands and Danner (pondmaster) products are good. I don't know about the others but there are a lot of well made ones to choose from.Laguna is usually great on not using a lot of electricity. I have one in my pond now. I had a Pondmaster before that lasted for over 15 yrs running 24/7 but it used more power.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh forgot..............
upload_2018-4-3_10-2-55.gif
@Dosry5

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi Dosry5 Welcome to the forum. I'm in Iowa about an hour northeast of you. I have bought most of my major purchases on line. I use Fosters and Smith often. Great customer service. Prices are pretty good.
Most here will give you good advise on brands and opinions of what they use.
I have seen some pond supplies at lowes and Menards. I have only purchased small pumps there only to use for my stock tank. Not my pond. The stores in our area don't carry much. Smaller pond kits, hoses and the like. Our Earl May also carries a bit but way to pricey. I do buy my water dechlorinator there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Dosry5 Welcome to the forum. I'm in Iowa about an hour northeast of you. I have bought most of my major purchases on line. I use Fosters and Smith often. Great customer service. Prices are pretty good.
Most here will give you good advise on brands and opinions of what they use.
I have seen some pond supplies at lowes and Menards. I have only purchased small pumps there only to use for my stock tank. Not my pond. The stores in our area don't carry much. Smaller pond kits, hoses and the like. Our Earl May also carries a bit but way to pricey. I do buy my water dechlorinator there.

Thanks Haver for the advice. I’m wanting to get moving on this but woke up to 14 degree temps this morning! Don’t think I’ll be doing any digging this weekend!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yep still feeling like winter for sure. I have some ice still on the pond. Should melt away tomorrow. But sounds like we may have more snow in the forcast. :(

Ask a Question