My pond these days

Reaction score
Country
Peru
lookds like a swimming pool conversion
Hi GBB
First of all I'd like to be a koi in your pond! It's great and surely the result of lots of optimistic work ! CONGRATS
All your recommendations, pictures and clips are absolutely important for a newbie like me :giggle:, very grateful for that.
It might be necessary (for me at least) to have a drone view (bird view) of your lay out for better understanding of all features and their interaction.
My pond is just 3 month old, and pond from the very beginning. Planned to be a water garden only, for ornamental local plants. not for fish...yet. Couple of pictures. It is made of a 4" bottom/wall of cement.
The bottom with a ramp from 1m to 0.5m deep, ending with a 2 step exit (recommended for the case a small kid or a dog fall into the pond).
The stones on top of the cement for colonization of nitro-bacteria... I hope.
The drain and level control is removeable and goes back to the sand trap of my irrigation pump, or back to a small river when the pump is not running.
Replenishing of evaporation water (very intensive in my place, 10,000 feet high and very sunny) and in general direct with river natural water via the irrigation pump.
Sofar ok in the process of reaching the water cycle.
Will very much appreciate comments of a high experienced top pond owner !!
Amen

Attachments

• forum 15.JPG
    forum 15.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 12
  • forum 14.JPG
    forum 14.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 11
  • forum 17.JPG
    forum 17.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 11
  • forum 21.JPG
    forum 21.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
Peru
Very beautiful antonio! What type of fish will you keep in the pond?
Hi Stephen, thanks a lot for your comment
It is just 3 month old, and in principle it is thought as a water garden, for local plants.
Who knows in the future...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the praise,
I'm glad the showcase was informative for you. but you did a heck of a job on your own.

I hear you that it is your favorite, I fully understand. A new window being cut in next to my recliner that will be looking out to the pond is now on the short list.

The reason I thought it was a conversion was the vertical walls and the drop down to the water. I have seen where others solution to lessening the 30,000 gallon pool was to simply not fill it up. The drop down to the water is ideal as a heron deterrent.

10,000 FT ? Do you have any birds at that elevation that you have to worry about if you were to add fish? Sure, I bet you have eagles and such but the ponds to small for them them to fish it. And if one did try it a simple piece of rope twine, fishing line across the middle of the pond would end that problem.

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Thanks for the praise,
I'm glad the showcase was informative for you. but you did a heck of a job on your own.

I hear you that it is your favorite, I fully understand. A new window being cut in next to my recliner that will be looking out to the pond is now on the short list.

The reason I thought it was a conversion was the vertical walls and the drop down to the water. I have seen where others solution to lessening the 30,000 gallon pool was to simply not fill it up. The drop down to the water is ideal as a heron deterrent.

10,000 FT ? Do you have any birds at that elevation that you have to worry about if you were to add fish? Sure, I bet you have eagles and such but the ponds to small for them them to fish it. And if one did try it a simple piece of rope twine, fishing line across the middle of the pond would end that problem.
Thanks for the recommendations

The shape of the cement border was planned to avoid rain water (nutrients) to flow into the pond. In fact it is not leveled on purpose and it "should" disappear with edge plants. I have to be patient and leave mother nature do it :giggle: , as in your absolute natural looking arrangement. The up-flow natural filter, also in progress...

Just around the corner in my place, Wetland / Lagoon / protected natural reserve for migrant and resident birds, called Huacarpay.
Sorry the clip is in Spanish/Quechua, those found in English were too "touristic".
Means there is an important birds diversity which are slowly discovering my quite, and more discrete, pond :giggle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A bucket list destination. That and Patagonia

Ask a Question