My savio skimmer eating my fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please help, so far I lost 2 fishes, they went into the skimmer. What should I do to prevent it? Thank you!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1656043747192.gif
@Elliot
I don't have a skimmer but others here do and I know they rig up something to stop this from happening so hopefully tomorrow someone will be able to help you. I'm sure you have it turned off now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could put some netting like deer fencing across the opening. It will let small stuff through but keep fish out. I did that for awhile, but after my tree died (maple) I have the draw real low so no need now.

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We use some plastic coated shelving over the front of ours. If you put it in horizontally, it will still let leaves and other debris in, but it keeps the fish out.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Elliot Hello and welcome! How big is your pond and what kind of fish do you have? Please go over to our “introductions“ topic and tell us a little about yourself.

I don’t have a skimmer — well, I do, but it’s a floating, in-pond type. I wish I could help you. The only times I’ve had a problem with fish getting into the skimmer was when the fish chased food inside, or when they were already weak (or dead) and not able to fight the current. I did something like what @addy1 suggested, but I like @WaterGardener suggestion, as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
One reason I no longer have a skimmer. I got tired of it "catching" my fish.

The other reason is that small debris would get past the filter pads and jam up the impeller of the pump.

Now, I just keep my net nearby. Whenever I see a significant amount of leaves floating, I just scoop them out with the net.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is just a skimmer no pump inside. Actually a pool skimmer, works great.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is an interesting problem - how to keep the fish out but let the debris in. A scene is an obvious answer but what if it gets blocked by debris? You risk starving your pump or overflowing the pond. Raise the opening above “fish level” and you might still have debris not make it over the top.

No real help honestly - I just like to ponder solutions! We have a negative edge and occasionally a fish swims over but we just toss him back. (Assuming they are all “him” - the females are smart enough to ask for directions! )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a Savio skimmer. I wedged a length of pvc snuggly into the weir opening. It doesn't prevent floating surface debris from entering but it keeps my koi out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The skimmer has a weir door that pivots and floats. This is what causes the skimming action that draws floating debris across your pond and into the skimmer basket. When a fish accidently gets drawn in, it can't escape and gets trapped in the basket. They are generally fine in there as long as you are checking your skimmer basket every couple of days.

One easy fix you can do, is to use a rock to weigh the weir door down. This allows fish and other aquatic life to swim into the skimmer and back out, but it will not draw floating debris as effectively into the skimmer basket.

I use a rock on my weir door when the pond has tadpoles and remove the rock to allow better skimming action when trees are dropping seeds in the spring and leaves in the fall. I, also, keep the weir up over the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Can you give us a picture of the skimmer? I used to have the same problem with my skimmer until i put a grate on it.

Ask a Question