savio compact skimmer media?

Reaction score
Just wondering, I put ammo rocks in a mesh sack under the skimmer basket figuring it cant hurt in adding it. Is it safe to just lay them in there without the mesh sack to cover the bottom of the skimmer floor as added bio media? Also could i put another sack or lay media balls under the pump(loose) or behind the pump(sack) in the pump chamber part of the skimmer? thanks

Reaction score
I use to put media around my pump in my savio skimmer, no problem. It does get pretty gunky down there with a submersible pump and when I vaccuumed the pond that was the first spot I cleaned.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I run the savio compact on my pond, I also have two bags of media I put in small bags. I use ammonia chips and activated carbon in one bag and Koi clay in the other. It's worked fine but it does require being cleaned more regular as the debris caught by the skimmer box now get wrapped around the bags. I don't put anything on the pump side as I'm a little leary that the pump may suck in something and I really don't want to have to replace a pump any sooner than I have to.

Ask a Question