mysterious baby fish in container pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
This is the second time this has happened. I have a galvanized wash tub container pond, I have just two plants in it that I wintered over a papyrus and some grass. I put some water hyacinth in the tub when those came in and now I have three babies swimming around. I think the eggs must have been on the hyacinth. Cause the other two plants haven't seen fish since last summer. The pond has no aeration or pump. What do I need to do to ensure the babies growth? I would like to see them survive, they look multi colored. I put flake food every once in a while but not sure if they know what that is yet.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Any chance you could get some pics of them? I know, they're probably too small, but just a thought! Maybe they're koi vs goldfish.....

What size is your tub? Could you get a small pump and put an air stone in the tub?

I had babies this spring, the majority of which I took meticulous care of. Some of the babies ended up in a kiddie pool with nothing but plants and an air stone [I am renovating the pond, so all the plants got put in the kiddie pool for safe-keeping] and a bunch of tadpoles. I rarely fed them, letting nature take care of them. Would you believe that the ones in the kiddie pool have done every bit as well as the ones I coddled?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow, may be i need to order the plants from someone I know to have pretty fish, ahem ahem so I might get some surprise watonai ahem ahem.

I think they will be fine but the air pump will help with making sure the water will continue to be good for them. They will likely just eat what in the tub until a lot bigger :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
wow, may be i need to order the plants from someone I know to have pretty fish, ahem ahem so I might get some surprise watonai ahem ahem.

I think they will be fine but the air pump will help with making sure the water will continue to be good for them. They will likely just eat what in the tub until a lot bigger :)

Ahem, ahem....... :) No babies or eggs from any of my W/W.....that I've been aware of. Good try, though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'll try to get pics. Lots of rain so water is not very clear yet. I had a stone bubbler last year but the motor went out and I haven't gotten a new one. I think there might be atleast 5 in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If you don't want to invest too much into an air pump, you can buy one at Walmart. I think they're designed for aquariums, but as long as it's protected from the weather, it would work :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Fixed a fountain with a pump we had at the house. Baby fish seemed to love the water splash. Think there may be a total of seven.

Attachments

• spottedbabyfish.jpg
    spottedbabyfish.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 288
  • spottedbabyfishII.jpg
    spottedbabyfishII.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 281
  • misc 7-19 fish 072.JPG
    misc 7-19 fish 072.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 306
  • babyfish.jpg
    babyfish.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 387
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My babies were growing big and doing so well. Started eating some flake food and nibbling on our hand when we reached in for the pump. But monday morning I found atleast 7 dead. All of them.....so I thought. yesterday I turned off the pump and was going to take out the plants and dump the water. When I got the plants out and started to move it I found FISH! 7 total are still alive. Now what do I do?! I cleaned a bucket and put my water from my big healthy pond in it and scooped them out. So now they are in a bucket. They have grown to about an inch long. Should I just put them in the big pond ?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So they are in a bucket w/ the same water from the big pond right? If they are 1" or so I don't think the other fish won't eat them. If you have an area in your pond where there are plants/rock crevices or some place for them to feel safe where they can hide if they like then I would just put them in the big pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
If you don't want to invest too much into an air pump, you can buy one at Walmart. I think they're designed for aquariums, but as long as it's protected from the weather, it would work :)
That's what I used as a bubbler. A walmart multi-outlet pump and they also sell a little air manifold with screw valves so you can control the air distribution. Those two with the air lines, I think I only spent about $25 to $35. I just kept the air pump under an inverted bucket (with a stone on top so the wind wouldn't take it) all winter long. Actually for the last two winters. Cheap and works a charm.

Paul

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I had a few fry recently in my little pond. I was very excited, and gave them powdered food daily. I enjoyed watching them grow. I thought they were safe, because I had plenty of plants, like hyacinth with good roots for hiding in. Plus they were fast and smart about getting out of the way of the big fish. Alas... they are all gone now. I guess they must have been eaten?

Ask a Question