Mystery Deaths - Awful

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I just can't see buying a $350 scope to help identify problems that appear only every 3-5 years, but would be great to have I agree. The koi dealer locally has shut down, now I don't know where to go for any future illness.
Wayne when youve been in the hobby 27 years like we have you learn alott and part and parcel with keeping fish be they Freshwater, Tropical or Marine is keeping them alive so that you can enjoy them at your leasure .
Many people dont and just let them die and say "ah well back to the fish shop to buy another", others like ourselves say "hey you know what my fish is sick I wonder why", they start to study and discover another world inside the fish pond which which is full of parasites viruses and bacteria .
So we pay out the money to buy a scope, Wayne my friend they are used far more often than you thinkand problems appear more often than every 3 to 5 years, parasites can be introduced into the pond without you even knowing they are there until they find a chink in your fishes armour .
Giving your fish a yearly scrape in spring ensures that your fish weakend by winter arent infected by Parasites or when buying a new fish prior to it going into QT(I see you agree it would be great to have though):happy:
If there is no dealer and he has to buy online with Amazon you can sign up to Amazon prime ensuring rapid delivery,
However which ever way this pans out lessons have been learned by Chris that he will remember and take away with him for future reference just like I did
By keeping our fish healthy we suddenly find just how long lived they are koi 80+ years and Goldfish 40+ I wonder how many people especially the ah well brigade even know that or even care because like everything else in this throway society of ours you can always get a new one :mad: .
That is why at the bottom of all our posts there is a little quote (y)

Dave

Last edited:

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
When you retire with your riches and go to that nice retirement condo, you can sell me that scope. I'll give you 35 BRit Pound for it!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
When you retire with your riches and go to that nice retirement condo, you can sell me that scope. I'll give you 35 BRit Pound for it!!!

Well aint that dandy Wayne thats what I about paid for it in a charity shop :LOL: if you have an Aldi or Lidle supermarket over there you'll get the same one for the equivulent of £50 who need to pay big bucks for one eh my friend ;) (y)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Kiddy microscopes are adequate for spotting bacteria for $20 or so. Easily cost effective when you compare the absurd cost of meds, killing fish with inappropriate chemical poisons etc

Mengele btw experimented on victims with quack medicine and mutilation to see how much they could endure before they died

The guy who is operating a pond with benign neglect probably knows what he is doing. He's not overstocked, nor pounding excessive pollution into the pond and he's not resorting to quack remedies to not fix a problem he has not got

Regards, andy
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
LOl I thought you had a good one that uses electricity not that dim light battery type!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Kiddy microscopes are adequate for spotting bacteria for $20 or so. Easily cost effective when you compare the absurd cost of meds, killing fish with inappropriate chemical poisons etc

Mengele btw experimented on victims with quack medicine and mutilation to see how much they could endure before they died

The guy who is operating a pond with benign neglect probably knows what he is doing. He's not overstocked, nor pounding excessive pollution into the pond and he's not resorting to quack remedies to not fix a problem he has not got

Regards, andy
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/
Ours is a bresser NG microscope 40x-1024x with occular for connecting to our PC bresser and believe me Wayne Bresser are the tops when it comes to Microscopes and as Andy says you only need a Kiddy microscope unless you wish to she'll out serious $-£ to buy one that does the same job but was a former research microscope from a hospital
ours is verty similar to this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bresser-Jun...07407354&sr=1-10&keywords=bresser+microscopes

So we made a huge saving by buying from a charity shop dont you think :happy:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, it's the day after I used the treatment for flukes and it's the first night that none have died. I have them in the holding tank still but pond is getting cleaned and refilled as I write this - here's hoping. Will need to let the pond warm up before I put them in.

Any other recommendations before returning them (assuming it was flukes or something of that nature)?

I believe I'm down to 5 fish - so hard to see in there because of the aerator bubbles.

Thank you.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I want one with AC power not batteries. On these cheap $25 kid ones the light is not good enough on high mag. Maybe LED is better nowadays.

Reaction score
Ok, pond is full again (of only water). Walls/Rocks/Filter/Pump all cleaned. Guy added a "starter" for bacteria. Now we need to wait for the water to warm. I also need to get new lilly pads. The plan is to add 2 "new" fish, not the ones from the sick batch, and see if they survive in the water. If so, add any surviving fish that seem healthy. Lastly, I am going to take the new water to pet store to get tested. Thanks for listening everyone -

Reaction score
Thank you. Fed the ones in the holding tank this evening - all but one of the 5 ate vigorously (which is a huge improvement). Before, even the ones that came up would spit the food out after eating it (but not tonight). That one that's still lethargic may be beyond help but I will hold out hope. The medicine can only be administered once every three days so have to wait a bit...

Reaction score
Hello - Looking for some help. The new water (still with no fish) has gathered these clusters of small white fibers - we saw this in the 2nd batch of water too (after the first time we drained it but it didn't work). They are not bubbles they are tangible fibers (for lack of a better term). I googled to no avail. Here is a pic - I also included a pic of my "little outdoor aquarium" as you guys so mockingly called it :)

Spots: http://postimg.org/image/q4pi4owkn/

Whole Pond: http://postimg.org/image/81hyl5obf/

Thanks.

Forgot to mention that they pond guy's theory was that it is salt residue (of which he put in way too much before we drained it again).

Sorry, last addition. The pond was really smelly before the cleaning - and the filter stunk and had flies in it (this is what he told me - I am guessing this is from the dead fish being in there but not sure). Meaning the dead fish in the pond not in the filter obviously.

Last edited:

Ask a Question