Mystery fish death with ph swings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Well done with the Prazi. Nice about the babies in the pond as well! So that is a good question about treating new fish if you ever get them! I would definitely quarantine them for about a week to make sure they are not sick. THey could have a variety of diseases that you would not want to introduce into the pond. But I would not treat them unless there are signs of something wrong. Remember the parasites you probably had were introduced by birds (almost certainly) and not fish. That could happen again. As a general rule dont treat for something that is not a problem until you know there is a problem. You handled this recent problem very well and you are looking after your fish responsibly!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks for all your advice along the way! Is it a good idea to re-treat with PraziPro a second time after a set amount of time (the bottle mentioned time frames for re-treatment) or only if there is evidence of further issues?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
My pleasure to help in whatever way I can! Follow the instructions on the bottle. Follow it exactly! It all depends on which Prazi you got and what they recommend. (The strengths and persistence are different depending on who makes it.). Follow the manufacturers instructions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's the same praziquantel that we used and we only treated once. We had persistent foaming in the pond for a full seven days, which I assumed meant the medication was active that whole time. We did not re-treat but, like you, we monitored closely for any signs that more fish were getting sick. We've had no further issues.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Flukes are so common in goldfish you may as well just treat new fish before adding to your "healthy" stock.

Feeder goldfish are especially suspect because of the over crowding and mistreatment they receive while being farmed and sold.

I'm glad to hear the remaining fish are doing well. Very cool that you found a baby :)

P.S. I have lost some of my favorite fish due to no quarantine prior to adding to my current healthy fish (have been keeping fish 20 plus years) I now always quarantine for 4-6 weeks to be sure I don't infect my fish.

Ask a Question