JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've had some great pollinator activity lately!
IMG_8701 copy.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have "Murder Hornets" showing up here in our state and nearby in B.C now, yikes! First one found in Blaine Wa. two more found in Eastern Washington and one found up in British Columbia. They are very bad for the Honey Bee populations. Not too wonderful for people either if they bite/sting you.

We have had more show up after this video below was made in May.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last year, I saw a rush growing in one of my newer birdhouse gardens. Appears to be native Path Rush. Hoping to collect seeds from it this year and get more growing in my gardens

IMG_9204 copy.jpg

Pearl Crescent on Butterflyweed
IMG_9118 copy.jpg

Monarch Caterpillars
IMG_9194 copy.jpg

Bee and fly on Lanceleaf Coreopsis.
IMG_8941 copy.jpg

We have "Murder Hornets" showing up here in our state and nearby in B.C now, yikes! First one found in Blaine Wa. two more found in Eastern Washington and one found up in British Columbia. They are very bad for the Honey Bee populations. Not too wonderful for people either if they bite/sting you.

We have had more show up after this video below was made in May.

Not good, but I'm even more worried about the Asian longhorned beetle that was found in South Carolina. It can kill trees, including Maple, Elm, Birch, Poplar, Willow, and others. If it does to those trees what the Emerald Ash Borer has done to Ash, we are going to be in serious trouble.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've got a bunch of little garden projects I've been working on but not really posting about.

This tiny garden was all Blanket Flower. As much as I hated getting rid of the Blanket Flower, I decided to try something new this year.
The leaves you see up front are Partridge Peas. The blooming plant is Purple Poppy Mallow. I also have a few other species in here including Blue Grama, Blue-eyed Grass, Prairie Smoke, and Royal Catchfly. I'm really liking how the leaves of Partridge Pea go well with the blooms of Purple Poppy Mallow.
IMG_0246 copy.jpg

IMG_0250 copy.jpg

IMG_0253 copy.jpg

I'm also working on adding more natives to the front yard. Here's Kalm's St. John's Wort that I grew from a cutting two years ago. I've got a few of them in the front yard now, and this is the first to bloom. I've also added Purple Poppy Mallow to this area.
IMG_0254 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JB would you have any scarlet bee balm seeds to share? I first saw this native plant in Gatlinburg TN blooming in early August this year. I found what I felt was a mature seed head and grabbed some seeds, but so far my stratification and wet paper towel have not produced a sprout so thinking I grabbed them too early.
thanks!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Love the zebra swallowtails , found out their host plant is the pawpaw tree, native to Kentucky. Got some seeds but no luck with germination. Have blazing star, hello hello butterfly bush and 2 more honeysuckle plants coming next week. Got butterfly garden almost cleaned!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB would you have any scarlet bee balm seeds to share?

Mine are the 'Jacob Cline' hybrid, so I believe the flowers won't produce viable seeds or something like that. I remember reading something about that when I first got it, so I've never tried to collect them. It's one of the reasons I was hesitant to buy it. I really don't like hybrids, but I made the exception for that one.

Ask a Question