Native Gardening

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Look they are just about to go to chrysalis stage! We didn't get many this year on monarchs. Tons of tiger swallowtails and black swallowtails. Have a cage coming tomorrow so I can bring in 10 caterpillars that are on my dill plant.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What kind of butterfly do they turn into?
Monarchs

Look they are just about to go to chrysalis stage! We didn't get many this year on monarchs. Tons of tiger swallowtails and black swallowtails. Have a cage coming tomorrow so I can bring in 10 caterpillars that are on my dill plant.

Yes they were all very close. I tried dill for black swallowtails, but didn't have any luck. I'll try again next year.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Got my cage and found 3 more monarch cats. Milkweed is covered with caterpillars but not monarch. Tussock moths! Cute but not nice.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thought of you when I was reading this article this morning @JBtheExplorer . We've visited the Shedd countless times and I had no idea these gardens were even a thing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, what a legacy she's leaving behind !

Today we cut back some honey suckle and planted some goldenrod on a hillside to reduce erosion and attract pollinators. Hubby used rocks to create litter cubbies in the hillside and to plant the goldenrod in. Turned out really well :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We planted golden rod years ago, have it growing here and there and everywhere. I don't see a ton of bees on it, but you can smell it when they bring it into the hives. Some say dirty sock smell, I smell butterscotch.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Anybody growing Mexican Flame vine? Got 2 and have been taking cuttings. Similar flower to Mexican Sunflower

I wish it were native and hardy. I remember seeing photos of that plant years ago. Beautiful vine!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The native garden, mid-winter.

IMG_20200123_120113979 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Funny, I feel the same about non-native plants.
Not all native plants are drought tolerant. Native doesn't mean drought tolerant. There are many native wetland plants, many native plants that will die quickly in dry soil.

I'd personally take my highly interesting Wild Columbine over non-native plants like Hostas or Coral Bells any day.
View attachment 91169
View attachment 91170
I also prefer the columbine. I can keep them alive, but not hostas or coral bells without heavily amending and constant watering. I soak water every few days and the columbines and asters and butterfly weeds tolerate it

Ask a Question