Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've been wanting to create this slideshow for about four years and finally got around to doing it. I'm glad I did. I think it's one of the best slideshows I've put together. Definitely shows off the park appropriately. If you have some time, please check it out!

Stunning job there jb you have definitely made a short clip that makes one think .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Today is the International Day of Forests.

You all know how much I love prairie. My garden is filled with prairie plants. I visit prairie remnants and restorations throughout spring and summer. I highly encourage miniature prairie restorations in our yards. However, if I could live anywhere, it would be in my favorite forest. Mornings and evenings are amazing. There is so much life. It's pure magic. So many great sights and sounds, and all if it natural. It's relaxing beyond belief. Why we've let, and are continuing to let, this habitat become so rare is beyond me. I often think there would be more peace and less stress in the world if we were able to surround ourselves with these places.

IMG_5131 copy1.jpg

IMG_5138 copy1.jpg

IMG_5161 copy.jpg

IMG_5178 copy1.jpg

IMG_5337 copy1.jpg

IMG_4701 copy2.jpg

DSCN7208 copy2 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My gosh! The images on this thread are spectacular! Great job to all those "on the glass"!

It's a fun thread and I'm glad I created it. Although, I just looked at my original post and can't believe it's been over 4 years since I started it!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Today is World Water Day.

As you know, life would not exist on this planet without it. No plants, no animals. Nothing.

It never ceases to amaze me that more isn't done to keep our water as clean as it can possibly be; to protect every lake, river, stream, and wetland. Here in Wisconsin, we have a new company moving in. It was national news when it was announced. Foxconn. There are a lot of questions surrounding their negative impact on the environment and the exemptions they've been given. It's been one of the biggest discussions.

"Under a state law enacted last year, Foxconn has no obligation to avoid or minimize its impact on a pond and 42 wetlands that cover about 26 acres within the first parcels of land the company is readying for construction"

"After state wetland protections were eliminated for Foxconn, it was still possible that federal regulations would apply. But the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Green Bay office confirmed Wednesday that it has determined it doesn’t have jurisdiction over wetlands on the initial parcels of Foxconn land submitted for review."

"Usually wetlands outside of federal jurisdiction are protected under state law, but the Legislature and Gov. Scott Walker exempted Foxconn from state restrictions."

"In addition to the exemption from state regulations restricting filling of wetlands and diverting streams, Walker and the Legislature exempted the company from compiling a comprehensive environmental impact statement, which is normally required for large developments as part of a process that allows the public to comment on plans."

Obviously, Foxconn is not even close to the first company to get environmental exemptions. Companies bring jobs, so government often allows them to get away with things that they very clearly shouldn't. In my opinion, it shouldn't even be a question. Companies should work with the land, not against it. They should show that they want to have a positive impact on the community they're joining, not only by bringing jobs but by protecting the environment and helping to keep the community as healthy as it can. Unfortunately, they don't. They don't care. They have the upper hand, and they know it. If they're restrained here, they would've had no problem going somewhere else, and every city or state is desperate for more jobs so they'd have no problem allowing them to get away with more than they should.

I'm familiar with the land where they're building. It's mainly farmland, but with many ponds, streams, and wetlands in the area. One of the places I walk is next door to it and I'm worried about the effects it'll have. There are other concerns regarding pollution, as well. We aren't quite sure what's to come of that, yet. With that being said, there is one dim light at the end of the tunnel. It doesn't make up for everything, but it does help.

"Foxconn will be required to pay into a program designed to create up to three new wetland acres for each one that is eliminated."

...but enough with the depressing stuff. Here's a handful of photos from some bodies of water that are protected and will likely remain protected for the rest of my life.

DSCN8063 copy1.jpg

IMG_3638 copy.jpg

IMG_2577 copy.jpg

IMG_2841 copy.jpg

IMG_1586 copy1.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great-horned owls have been hanging out around my yard and neighbors yards a lot over the past two weeks. It's been pretty cool to see. Just accidentally scared it as I was walking into my native garden.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's out there again! :)

Now it's in one of my trees. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to get a photo. Don't have a good enough camera for that and there's no chance of me being able to get close.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It's out there again! :)

Now it's in one of my trees. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to get a photo. Don't have a good enough camera for that and there's no chance of me being able to get close.
I rather have them in my yard then the camera to photograph them. That is very cool

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I rather have them in my yard then the camera to photograph them. That is very cool

I'll second that!! Best I have got lately is a pair of falcons . hoping they stop buy when the pond is done and help them selves to a frog or snake

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'll second that!! Best I have got lately is a pair of falcons . hoping they stop buy when the pond is done and help them selves to a frog or snake
OPPS .. that's what I get typing at 11:00 at night after a 16 hour day The Falcone will BUY a couple frogs huh Okkkk

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Falcons, hawks, owls, including great horned, all started hanging out after we put in the pond. The hawks love the frogs! They sit in the maple tree and pick them off. I never run out of frogs.

Ask a Question