JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some bird will like this new nesting box I made. Actually, it's not screwed together yet, but you get the idea. I'm considering making all new ones so I'd have identical ones throughout my yard. Right now, nearly every single birdhouse I have has a different design.

IMG_7598 copy.jpg

If anyone's interested, here's the plan I used. It's appropriate for both Bluebirds and Tree Swallows. Of course, it'll also work for Wrens and Chickadees.

TreeSwallowBluebird.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have around 25 of them in the yard. The birds pick some ignore others. Paper wasps move in sometimes.

Need to make some new ones, they are starting to fall apart, been up for around 8 years now.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It was a great day to be outside.

Trout were swimming up the river. A Great-horned Owl was seen in a tree, and ultimately chased away by a pair of Crows. A lot of small birds, like various warblers, were everywhere in this woodland.
IMG_7668 copy.jpg

B

Burd

image.jpeg
When I moved I left all my houses at my old place hoping they keep them up. I just hung a new one , I bought the pred guard for it, it will have to be taken down later in the summer when I side my house, if it's a good spot I'll put it back up. It's under a overhang to keep dry, I have a robin shelf to,put up somewhere too.
Also the squirrel rehabber is going to bring the squirrel back, I have a large cedar box for her I'll have to get up in a tree somehow.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Best photo I could get, but I had to share. First butterfly of the year! I could hardly believe it when I saw it flying around the driveway.
IMG_7780 copy.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I heard quail today and I called back at them w/my er er er imitation and they kept answering me back and getting closer and closer, then I decided I better quit fooling around and get back to work!

B

Burd

Then the native bird should have got his butt in there first, lol. I'll put a few more up with smaller holes in too.
Those sparrows were prob born here, as American as we are. Lmao.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Then the native bird should have got his butt in there first

They can't, because non-native House Sparrows live here year-round while most native species that rely on nesting boxes have to migrate, so House sparrows get to the houses first. Sure, House sparrows are now born here, but they're invasive, and causing populations of native species to decline. They out-compete our native species when it comes to food, and they take over nesting boxes, and will even steal in-use boxes and fight, leaving our cavity-nesting native birds without places to lay eggs and raise young. Ultimately, we have to decide what's more important to help: Our many native cavity-nesting species whose populations are decreasing, or one invasive specie from Europe.

I'm no fan of kicking birds out of houses, but it feels good when you succeed and a native bird like a wren or swallow moves in. That's what it's all about.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are back! came home early from Baltimore walked over to look out at the deck and there they were, saw two........... Saw fat mama head under the garage one day.
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2430.JPG
IMG_2431.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question