JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Three nest boxes done. Not bad. Cost me $3 to make 3.
IMG_7858 copy.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I am going to search for the real meaning now,lol! https://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/ho...ound-during-elaborate-mating-rituals-1420103/

If this is really true!

How hummingbirds make such awesome sounds
By Jennifer Bergen 09.10.2011 :: 9:02AM EDT

If you want to impress your friends over your weekend drinks or brunch, then listen up. A Yale University zoologist has figured out what exactly makes a hummingbird hum. The hummingbird is one of the smallest of all birds, with the smallest, the Bee Hummingbird, at just 5 cm. Though tiny, these birds can produce quite a hum, which is where their name is derived from.

Yale student Christopher Clark studied the characteristics of the hummingbird and reported his findings in a paper published in the Sept. 9 issue of Science. Clark found that in addition to the mesmerizing mid-air hovering that hummingbirds are known for, the other trait they’re known for (the humming) comes from the males who make the sound with their tail feathers while courting lady hummingbirds. Clark found that the air flowing past the tail feathers makes the male’s feathers flutter and generate a humming sound.

Apparently, the birds only make the sound during their elaborate mating rituals that typically see a male flying up to 40 meters into the air and then dive-bombing down right past the casually-perched female. When the he-bird reaches the lowest part of his dive, he quickly spreads and then closes his tail feathers which expose them to air. This in turn causes the flutter sound. Also, like a tuning fork, when one feather vibrates, it causes the one next to it to vibrate, and so on, creating a loud sound. Clark found that two feathers fluttering together can make a sound about 12 decibels louder than two that are fluttering independently.

The birds can fly at speeds exceeding 15 m/s and, depending on the species, can flap their wings 12 to 90 times per second. So how is it that Clark was able to deduce that it’s the tail feathers that cause the sound if these little birds are moving so quickly? As you can see in the video below, Clark recreates some of the sounds by putting the feathers in a wind tunnel and turning the air speed up to a range similar to their dives. He took high-speed video of the wings’ flutters that were recorded at 23,000 frames per second and were slowed down by 1,000 times. He also analyzed the fluttering sounds by measuring the sound of hummingbird feathers with a Scanning Laser Doppler Vibrometer, which is an instrument used to measure a surface’s vibrations.

Not only did Clark discover the reasoning behind the humming sound; he also found out that each species has a “signature sound.” The researcher said in a press release that the sounds the feathers can make are more varied than he expected. Each species has a different frequency, volume, and sound which come from factors like the size, shape, stiffness, and mass of the feathers.

Though he’s still not sure why males have evolved to create sound with their tail feathers during courtship, Clark hypothesizes that female hummingbirds might prefer the mate who’s the best flyer. The volume of a male’s tail feathers would mean he’s very fit, and males dive fast to increase the volume of their fluttering to create a louder hum.

Also, a fun little tidbit for you, hummingbirds are the only group of birds that are able to fly backwards.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thought I read somewhere about using cedar for birdhouses but I thought the smell would be an issue. Then when I saw your post, figured it was pine. Nice job!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thought I read somewhere about using cedar for birdhouses but I thought the smell would be an issue. Then when I saw your post, figured it was pine. Nice job!

All of my old nest boxes are cedar. Birds don't care about the smell, they'd nest in a cedar tree if it had a hole in it. Cedar and Pine are two of the best options, because they hold up well. Pine is cheaper, and I tend to like the way it looks better. Eventually, I plan on replacing all of my birdhouses with this style so everything's the same. Probably won't get to it this year, since birds will be taking over the old nest boxes any day now.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Today was AWESOME! I saw so many species of birds, some of them I rarely or never see. Migration is clearly under way. Please forgive the terrible photos. Everything was at a distance and my camera can only do so much. Constantly reminded of how much I wish I had a better camera, or at least a super-zoom camera.

Red-breasted Mergansers
IMG_7891 copy.jpg

Lesser Scaups and Red-breasted Mergansers
IMG_7892 copy.jpg

Lesser Scaups & a Pied-billed Grebe
IMG_7898 copy.jpg

Northern Shovelers and American Coots
IMG_7894 copy.jpg

Common Tern diving for fish.
IMG_7911 copy.jpg

Mallards and Blue-winged Teals
IMG_7902 copy.jpg

Bonaparte's Gull
IMG_7901 copy.jpg

Eastern Meadowlark
IMG_7912 copy.jpg

Groundhog
IMG_7899 copy1.jpg

Great Blue Heron.
IMG_7906 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My old homemade orange holder broke last year and instead of fixing it, I had an idea recently of somehow making a small orange holder and possibly figuring out a way of fitting it on my Oriole feeder. It actually worked out as perfect as I was picturing it. Now I just need the oranges.

IMG_7956 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Went to one of the only places in the immediate area that I know has a population of salamanders. Found two almost immediately.

IMG_8210 copy.jpg

IMG_8215 copy.jpg

I believe the group that owns this woodland are trying to make the trail into more of a nature trail geared toward students on field trips, as I saw a ton of nature signs today showing animals and plants that exist in this woodland.
IMG_8220 copy.jpg

Also saw a lot of Bloodroot just beginning to bloom. Such a cool woodland plant. If it had a longer blooming period, I'd probably buy it.
IMG_8221 copy.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've rescued our little salamanders off our roads while walking. Not as pretty as your blue spotted ones and I just learned this one is mildly poisonous. Called the Northwestern Salamander. Not my photo.
Salamander.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Our little pond and stream have been attracting huge numbers of birds this year, especially gold finches. A couple days ago, all the trees, the fence and the feeders were nicely decorated with them. The stream was standing room only!
8721 gold finches bathing.jpg

I figured this would be tough to beat, but the next day, a bird I've wanted to see for years showed up! A male Luzuli bunting in breeding colors, so bright it's hard to believe.
8739 luzuli bunting breeding colors.jpg

He jumped down and proceeded to get a fine bath.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice @Stephen T. never seen that many beautiful goldfinches at one time! That Luzuli is so pretty! Never see those around this part of the Pacific N.W.

Ask a Question