Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Some folks we know that are over near Medford live next to a golf course. Apparently, every year the gold finches spend some time on the big net that protects the neighborhood from flying balls. They claim that there are uncountable numbers on it at times for several days. I'd like to see that. We get over 50 at one time pretty often here near Agency/Klamath Lake. The birding here is just plain amazing.

We have a 1/4 acre set aside as our own private park and wildlife area, 1/2 our property goes to the critters. Putting in the small stream and ponds has really increased the birds, frogs and toads, exactly what we wanted. I built it with the idea of both this and as a nice backdrop for photographing them. One of the next projects is erecting a 15' snag for the woodpeckers.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You've stolen our state bird :smuggrin:
Neat you have made your property critter friendly! Looking forward to seeing more of your property and critters :)
We have an acre and I'd love to do that to ours but it would be more work than I alone could do and hubby is not into landscaping.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Maybe they just know an ex-Washingtonian and stopped here to say hi! I grew up near Tacoma so am very aware of the state bird there. This is such an awesome place for birds, I've photographed about 60 different ones just in our yard. We're about 1000' from the lake and a mile from Wood River Wetlands, right on the migration path of millions of birds.

You must be close to the Skagit River, another great birding spot.

Steve

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I am nearer to the Stillaguamish River as it is just below us. Lots of Eagles. Snow Geese and Trumpeter Swans hang out in the fields. Many more birds than I could name. We are up on the hill in Arlington Hts. The Skagit which is north of us is a great Eagle watching spot.
Sounds for sure like you are in the right spot for plenty of nature viewing!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Our little pond and stream have been attracting huge numbers of birds this year, especially gold finches. A couple days ago, all the trees, the fence and the feeders were nicely decorated with them. The stream was standing room only!
View attachment 110392
I figured this would be tough to beat, but the next day, a bird I've wanted to see for years showed up! A male Luzuli bunting in breeding colors, so bright it's hard to believe.
View attachment 110393
He jumped down and proceeded to get a fine bath.
Very nice

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I hate trying to take a photo through my window, but at least I got proof!
IMG_8438 copy.jpg

This is the first Cape May Warbler I've ever seen! It showed up to my feeder today. The yellow was stunningly bright. Definitely one of the coolest warblers I've ever seen!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
It's pretty exciting when you spot a totally new (to you) bird! This year was my first view of a red crossbill and the luzuli bunting, which just blew me away. Shooting through a window is a real pain/pane. I get stuck with it now and then, usually to figure out what bird I'm seeing. Just try and slide the window open and the bird's long gone.

Too many times with either binoculars or camera, I've had to reach for it and just as I get it to my eye, the bird flies away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
We found a dead small tree, while out exploring a back road, so we brought it home and erected it just above myy small stream. It is held in place with a pipe driven into the ground and hooked to the tree with hose clamps. I'll disguise them soon. It wasn't 10 minutes until a bunch of gold finches were perched in it. At times, since then, there have been over 25 in it and almost always there are birds perched up there. It is about 15' tall.

106 gold finch tree.jpg

This morning, I got lucky and the luzuli bunting came again, while I was in my little photo blind! That sure is a pretty bird!

8811 luzuli bunting.jpg

There was quite a variety this morning, white breasted nuthatch, gold finches, red crossbill, luzuli bunting, song sparrows, 3 types of blackbird, scrub jays, pine siskins, spotted towhee, yellow rumped and yellow warbler and American robins all within about 45 minutes.

The ponds and stream have sure paid off, not only as a great relaxing spot to sit, but a place for my fish and an attraction for lots of birds (no herons, kingfishers or egrets have visited, thankfully).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I agree, I'm an expert at PhotoShop, but didn't need it. The blue is just stunning on this bird. It would have looked more real if I'd cut the color down to size! The western bluebird that showed up later used to look super blue, after the bunting, it looked ... dull!

Ask a Question