Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Found a pond frog in my front lawn. Almost ran him over with the mower but he moved at the last moment. Didn't even see him before he moved. I have been growing new grass so it is rather wet there.
Relocated him to the pond, hope he sticks around. Named him Justin Peeper.
th.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Found a pond frog in my front lawn. Almost ran him over with the mower but he moved at the last moment. Didn't even see him before he moved. I have been growing new grass so it is rather wet there.
Relocated him to the pond, hope he sticks around. Named him Justin Peeper.
View attachment 111870

It's hard to see frogs in grass, and many times they'll hunker down rather than jump, thinking that will keep them safe. I've been lucky in that I've never knowingly hit a frog. Toads are more common in my lawn, and they can't move very fast, so I'm always looking for them. When I was a kid, I saw a toad or two get hit with a lawnmower, and it was pretty devastating to me.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Right now we have hundreds of baby toads everywhere. It's hard not to step on one but I have been trying really hard. I will be glad when they get bigger!

B

Burd

4 frogs survived the winter this year, I was surprised.
I just saw a fresh baby dear run through my yard, didn't have time to get my phone. Rite now the old ground hog is sunning on the big rock. Always something going on if you just look, mostbof the Madonna bees are gone, out of 19, 5 holes left still sealed.
I hear baby sparrows in the one bird house, not sure what that wren is up to.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's a few older photos from a place I've visited about 8 times in the last few years.
I share these because they might just be the last photos I got of this awesome place.

Today is the official "groundbreaking" ceremony for Foxconn. Tr*mp is in town. There's also a protest at the park I live next to. Anyway, Foxconn has a map of their facility, and while every source I found shows this land isn't theirs, it's clear that it's going to be changed during the project. Their land boarders two sides of this habitat restoration. It appears that the pathway may be completely removed. It's hard to tell, but the area might still be somewhat natural, but will be surrounded by buildings now, and if they remove the hills, it will no longer feel natural and hidden away like it is now. It's going to have a big impact on the animals that have started to rely on this restoration since it was created. We'll have to wait and see what ends up happening with this place, but it won't be as you see it here:

IMG_3342 copy.jpg

IMG_3344 copy.jpg

IMG_3352 copy.jpg

IMG_7892 copy.jpg

IMG_7898 copy.jpg

IMG_7891 copy.jpg

IMG_5909 copy.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If I were in a car today instead of on a bicycle I know a young buck that might be dead! He jumped out right in front of me and I put the brakes on quick. Beautiful creature right up close! He bounced off in the tall grass and then turned back to look at me.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Man, you really can't escape you-know-who, can you?

Went to the lake today to check out a shoreline restoration, and there goes Air Force One roaring overhead.

IMG_9766 copy.jpg

B

Burd

847162B7-CC73-47B2-A2D0-EBBAADE7EE97.jpeg
BF9913FC-FCF1-4DCC-BEA8-4FFD24DD6583.jpeg
8E1BA2E9-715B-4761-9BA1-5749BC639325.jpeg
A Chickadee was in a friends garage since yesterday in the heat. I ended up grabbing him in my hand, he was panting. He would have died today in the heat. He Drank water off my fingers. I’ll let him go tonight. He needs to rehydrate
I just look in on him, he's sleeping. Lol. Busy day.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's a few older photos from a place I've visited about 8 times in the last few years.
I share these because they might just be the last photos I got of this awesome place.

I went by here today. Couldn't tell if the parking lot was already destroyed, but there was construction at least right up to it. Thought I may get one last walk over there, but it's not looking good.

Ask a Question