Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They hang traps in the trees here to see where they are locating to. Must be a bummer to be a gypsy moth.
Jw is obvious you have never been through a gypsy moth invasion it is the most depressing event I have ever witnessed. everywhere you step you step on a caterpillar and the green guts. and you can't stand under a hardwood tree without being pooped on though tiny and not real juicy it's just very depressing when it looks like December in June because all the leaves have been eaten off the trees. the trees literally look like they have hair on them because there's so many of them climbing up the trees and best of all when they drop down on you from a web of silk. which is how the rumor has it they got released in American. someone was looking at a cheap way of making silk and though gypsy's were the answer. but when funding ran out they let them loose. They would get so loud it would sound like it was raining as the rain hit the leaves but there weren't any leaves they had eaten them all

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nope never have and hope I never will. They are trying to keep them from spreading. If too many caught in an area then they will spray. https://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/Pests/GypsyMoths

Pesticide-GypsyCaterpillar.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here in the north east they wont spray to many people who think they know whats best

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I find a lot of them, always save and do my best to not harm. And I do not like spiders, spider webs etc. one thing that can freak me out, walking into a web.

But love to see them at a distance.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't mind spiders at all. I will pick them up and move them out of harms way. My hubby does not want to be near them and calls me to come and remove them from his sight. It's so funny to go on a hike w/him. I have to walk ahead in case of webs. If he gets them on him he does the dance of the 7 t-shirts (flinging off everything on him), lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Burd thanks for the picture its a great one. Spiders can be strange to watch. Here is one I found walking funny. I caught it to have a look. If you look closely its not a complete shadow under its front legs, they are mostly fused together.
20180525_105836.jpg

B

Burd

I saw one like that at a shop last year. I'll post the pic, Ive been repairing a shed for a friend, she hates spiders, there's a big one in the door, I got her looking at it instead of smashing it, she actually named it Charlotte, lol. I'll get a PC , it's a common garden spider I think.
I showed her yesterday, they get thirsty too, I misted it and she drank for a few minutes, picking up the small drops on the webs and drinking them.

Ask a Question