Nature & Wildlife Thread

B

Burd

09767DB3-B90E-4065-BF6B-4C6AB4B1E748.jpeg
7748CF7D-F763-4718-9FD6-EC6D772FB75C.jpeg
I went out to water the plants, the big spider was out. And it has a neighbor. I can’t believe they live so close. They are rite next to each other. It’s by a light, easy pickings. Lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am seeing huge spider webs, like feet across. Some going from one tree to another. So when I mow I will be on the watch for them, I freak if I run into one and get it on my head.................

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had one fall from the sky yesterday while riding my bike. It landed on my mirror and went for a ride w/me till I came to a bush and let him go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There was no time for a pic but, my wife and I were coming back from the store, and walking on the dock towards our boat in February. I noticed a large snake sunning himself on the swim platform of our boat. (Right where we get on). My wife is deathly afraid of grass snakes so, I told her she should head back to shore. I grabbed a boat hook off a neighbors boat, and walked up to the snake. It was a Water Moccasin. I pinned it down with the boat hook for about a minute. It wasn't trying to bite me, it just wanted to get away. I felt I was being mean to it so, I let it go into the water.

B

Burd

what type of parrot is he we have them living in the WILD here in Connecticut. IN the winter you can barely see there beaks the downy gets so thick

He’s a Quaker, or Monk parrot. There are blue variants, my bird sitter has the blue type, when he stays there she doesn’t want anything to go w/ lucky. Lol
Argentina I think their from?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Must have moved in when it was smaller. It has a nice safe home!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmmm.... Just found this thread. Thanks JB for starting it! Here are a few pics I took in a park in South Africa 3 years ago. The leopards there hunt impalas and catch them pretty easily. The guides call the impala McDonalds because they are like fast food for the cats. Easy to get and not really filling. Typically the leopards lie in wait and pick one off. When we saw the impalas at dusk one evening we had to turn off our lights on the truck so we didn't blind them and make them too vulnerable. Because we were in Sabi Sand we were able to go off road. In Kruger National park vehicles have to stay on the road. We saw this leopard grab the impala and followed him to where he took it up a tree. You can't feel too bad for the impala though because the mortality rate for leopard and lion cubs is pretty high and the big cats only do what that need to survive. There are a lot of pressures on the families from other predators and even themselves. If a new male lion takes dominance of a territory the first thing they do is kill all the cubs so the females only have their babies and the bloodlines are all from the dominant male. The first pic is the leopard dragging the impala. the second pic is from our truck. There is a spotter that sits in front. We went out at night and a lion almost jumped right over the spotter. We were all scared but the guides said that's no big deal. The lions respect the trucks like another predator and know them from when they were cubs. The last pic is the dominant lion's brother trying to take it up with one of his brothers females. After this shot he laid down close to her and our guide was singing love songs to no avail! The big cats have large territories they are in control of and probably his brother wouldn't be back for a few days, but the female would have nothing to do with the non dominant male!
20150113_230834.jpg
20150113_230747.jpg
20150113_124100.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very cool @CometKeith - truly a magnificent sight. My son was in South Africa this spring and the videos he shared with us were amazing - the animals all use the same roads as the vehicles, so they had no trouble finding each other!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very cool @CometKeith - truly a magnificent sight. My son was in South Africa this spring and the videos he shared with us were amazing - the animals all use the same roads as the vehicles, so they had no trouble finding each other!
Pretty much all creatures on this planet including us take the path of least resistance.

Ask a Question