JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One of my house sparrow families moved out, and I noticed they were rebuilding the nest, so I immediately took off the front of the house, removed the nesting material, made a new front with a smaller hole to hopefully deter them. I'm trying to get more house wrens back instead, but it may be a bit too late in the season now.

I was about to do the same thing with a second house that I haven't seen any sparrows at. Imagine my surprise when I start pulling the nest out and a baby jumps out. It's nearly fledgling-size. So I put the darn nest back in and then grabbed the bird and put it back in too. But as soon as they're out I'm making smaller holes on ALL of my houses. I don't get tree swallows here anymore since more buildings went up around me and trees are getting bigger, so I don't need houses designed for them anymore. I'm just gonna focus on house wrens now.

Ask a Question