sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I thought that too .haro .I have my clean out box before my septic tank and it looks similar .But my parents had a cistern on there house in NJ and and when we abandoned it and had it cleaned out and crushed and backfilled I remember looking at it and it looked similar .Is it meal or cement .That could be dangerous if someone falls in it and breaks an ankle .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
JW those are some beautiful pictures! Scenery is beautiful. Was it a chilly bikeride? :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
sissy said:
I thought that too .haro .I have my clean out box before my septic tank and it looks similar .But my parents had a cistern on there house in NJ and and when we abandoned it and had it cleaned out and crushed and backfilled I remember looking at it and it looked similar .Is it meal or cement .That could be dangerous if someone falls in it and breaks an ankle .
When I saw it from a distance I thought it was a foundation, but when I got close I realized it wasn't. I'm not sure what kind of material it is but definitely look like cement or metal, and maybe a foot deep at most.

As far as safety is concerned, its well off-trail and can be easily seen from a distance, but I will likely be contacting our parks & rec. dept. simply out of curiosity.

The history of this land is interesting to me. It once belonged to a millionaire. He planted the pines that now create the woodlands. He died in '93 and the land was a donation from him to the town in hopes of it becoming a park, which is what they did with it. Whatever this thing is has likely been here for a long time.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Looking at the picture the first time, I thought it was bigger than that. Only a foot deep? Wouldn't hold much water for a cistern, would it! Possibly a catch basin to retain water for animals. Deer, maybe?
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
here I have run into a couple of slave grave yards and about 6 miles from my house 3 years ago I looked to buy a house and happened to go look at one with my realtor and walking the property we came across what is called a graveyard for slaves that they suspected where practicing evil and you could tell because of the markings and things the use to keep there evil souls in .Realtor told me all about mind you I was not interested at all after that in the house i just wanted out of there .I checked with historical society and yep it was all true .They sent me some info on them and listings of where some of the known ones were .I am glad I did not enter or go to close to it .I really don't believe in that stuff but you never know

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
HARO said:
Looking at the picture the first time, I thought it was bigger than that. Only a foot deep? Wouldn't hold much water for a cistern, would it! Possibly a catch basin to retain water for animals. Deer, maybe?
John
Maybe, but there is a stream maybe 100 yards east, and a pond not too far either. very mysterious!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I too love hiking, camping and being outdoors. Although I don't know if this site can handle all the pictures I am about to post LOL

Bunny!
DSCN2699.jpg

High mountain lake
DSCN2712.jpg

Chipmunk at almost 12,000 feet above sea level

DSCN0385.jpg

Around 12,000 feet I was within arms reach of these guys
DSCN2886.jpg

With baby!
DSCN2885.jpg

stop to smell the flowers
DSCN2888.jpg

DSCN2883.jpg

Meadow at 10,000 feet
DSCN2897.jpg

Wild horses in the high desert
DSCN3644_zpsfec03a94.jpg

DSCN3643_zps979d7059.jpg

DSCN3678_zps4dc72649.jpg

April2012003.jpg

Game camera shot in the high desert
tricketsranchgame_zps8a0cc0f6.jpg

Coyote?
DSCN2459.jpg

More horses
DSCN2498.jpg

Daddy's keeping an eye on us
DSCN2497.jpg

And some curious quail in our backyard

DSCN3946_zpscbd390e7.jpg

DSCN3947_zpsb3b02f9d.jpg

DSCN3950_zps7bf44ddb.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Jb my photo's were taken in warmer weather, no cold camping for us. We can go till about October and then done for the year.
Beautiful shots Pecan and that meadow photo looks like what entering Heaven might be like :biggrinangelA:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
pecan said:
I too love hiking, camping and being outdoors. Although I don't know if this site can handle all the pictures I am about to post LOL
Great photos! That second one is phenomenal! Feel free to continue posting as many as you want, i'll be sharing tons too in warmer weather!

j.w said:
Jb my photo's were taken in warmer weather, no cold camping for us. We can go till about October and then done for the year.
Same here, October is also the cutoff for me too. Thankfully, I'm lucky enough to live next to a wooded park so I get to hike any time of the year, which really helps get me through winter because I live for the outdoors so I'm thankful to live next to that chunk of woods.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Awww, that little guy brings back fond memories of the twin raccoon babies that tmann from this forum had visiting his grape arbor every year for awhile. Cute but can bring trouble as they do like to fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
addy had those raccoons I think also .i think she had babies .I have possums .I remember tmans they were grape hounds cute

Ask a Question