JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Went to a really cool county park today. It didn't have as "deep" of a woods as I hoped for, but the views were great and made for a nice time. Would've been better if there wasn't a road right next to the trail though.
IMG_7525.jpg

IMG_7526.jpg

IMG_7534.jpg

IMG_7539.jpg

IMG_7542.jpg

IMG_7544.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Went to one of Wisconsin's many State Natural Areas today. I've only been to a handful. This is the closest one to my house and I have never been to it before. The trail was only about a mile long, but there was also a nice paved roadway around it. It was a nice walk in a decent woodland area.

IMG_7570.jpg

IMG_7557.jpg

IMG_7562.jpg

IMG_7569.jpg

IMG_7574.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
BIG news!! Back in June you may remember I shared that a Painted Turtle was laying eggs in my yard.

IMG_0653 copy.jpg

Well, today I checked out the nest and noticed a crack in the ground. I realized i could make out eggs in the crack, and I thought they may be bad eggs. I carefully started peeling the earth back and realized they were not bad, they hatched! Two baby painted turtles were still in the nest. Two sadly died before they hatched, but it appears others have already left the nest!

I'll be releasing them into a nearby pond today after my mom stops by to see them.
DSCN6553.jpg

DSCN6555.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think that is just the cats meow...............do turtles make any noise?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

they can hiss. the babies haven't made any noise, but i've definitely been hissed at by adult painted turtles before!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
4 th pic in your post larkin looks like ghosts of 3 people a man a woman and a girl child

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Oh, j.w., you wouldn't believe it! The loud screeching, the howling at the moon for hours at a time.... Why do you think people want to get rid of them once they get bigger?! ;)
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
BIG news!! Back in June you may remember I shared that a Painted Turtle was laying eggs in my yard.

View attachment 75218

Well, today I checked out the nest and noticed a crack in the ground. I realized i could make out eggs in the crack, and I thought they may be bad eggs. I carefully started peeling the earth back and realized they were not bad, they hatched! Two baby painted turtles were still in the nest. Two sadly died before they hatched, but it appears others have already left the nest!

I'll be releasing them into a nearby pond today after my mom stops by to see them.
View attachment 75219
View attachment 75220
AWESOME (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think lots here have been snacking on some crazy seeds of some kind bending their minds a bit. tbendl thinks turtles can talk, sissy is seeing ghosts and John is hearing turtles howling at the moon. I think the only sane one around here it seems is little ole moi

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's a follow up...

Just got back from releasing the two turtles into a nearby pond! May the odds be in their favor.

DSCN6579 copy.jpg

DSCN6591.jpg

DSCN6587 copy2.jpg

release location:
DSCN6599.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is so cool that you got to see them do their thing and then take them to a nice spot to release. Might give them a better chance to survive.
I wish I could have some turtles but w/ my hubby constantly wanting to get out of here and head south for the winters that is out. Maybe when we get too old to drive anywhere and have to stick close to home I can get some and make a nice outdoor spot for them and bring them in in the winter. I had them when I was a kid til my cat thought they were play toys. Small turtles and cats do not mix.

Ask a Question