JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Found a little pine woodland tucked away. Right near our busiest part of town. Never knew it was there before. Its tucked back on a side road. Pretty cool to see! Every time I find something like this, I want to thank every individual who helped to keep these areas protected from development for so long.
DSCN6631.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are a good finder of hidden trails! That one looks like it would be nice for biking too if they allow it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ahh, love all the pictures!! wish I could photograph as pretty as some of you, even though I have a good camera I just dont know how to make it pretty.

Anyway, The big preying mantis got a ride to work from home.. now making a new home at our office building downtown :)
1.JPG
2.JPG

My boy and cicada. We also found one cicada with only its head and 4 legs and wings, no body, walking around the playground.. it's kinda weird that it can live like that.

4.JPG

humming bird at the front of my house, my husband swear humming bird cant stand and eat and I proved him wrong. the bird just stand on the feeder and eat. - pictures from my phone, bad pictures.

b3.JPG
b4.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
even though I have a good camera I just dont know how to make it pretty.

Its all about trial and error.

The best way, (at least it was for me) is that when you find a subject, take photos from all different angles and all different distances. Photographing subjects at different times of day changes the way photos turn out too. Usually sunrise and sunset makes for the most interesting lighting and shadows. Different weather can give different results too.

When it comes to photographing something small like a frog or turtle, I put the camera right down at its level, even resting the camera on the ground when possible. It helps show the animal in its environment and shows how huge everything around it is in comparison.

I don't know what photography classes would think about my methods, but I'm not too worried about it. I really just try different angles, and when I look through the photos, if I find a photo that I think turned out great, I try to remember what made it great so I can try it again next time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Its all about trial and error.

The best way, (at least it was for me) is that when you find a subject, take photos from all different angles and all different distances. Photographing subjects at different times of day changes the way photos turn out too. Usually sunrise and sunset makes for the most interesting lighting and shadows. Different weather can give different results too.

When it comes to photographing something small like a frog or turtle, I put the camera right down at its level, even resting the camera on the ground when possible. It helps show the animal in its environment and shows how huge everything around it is in comparison.

I don't know what photography classes would think about my methods, but I'm not too worried about it. I really just try different angles, and when I look through the photos, if I find a photo that I think turned out great, I try to remember what made it great so I can try it again next time.
Thanks for the tip! I think my camera doesn't make the color as sharp as yours though. I'll probably have to play with the setting. I'll try your method, it's better than mine right now anyway :) I use Pentax camera.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice pix Red! The spiders are cool and this is there time of the year to show off as Halloween grows nearer and nearer

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was mowing, ran into a web face level, smack! Did I tell you I dislike spiders anywhere on my body? To say the least I was off that mower checking everywhere for that sucker. Finally found it swinging on a piece of web hanging off the tree. Whew! saved again

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's my hubby too addy.............he does the spider dance and I laugh and he says it's not funny :rolleyes:

I don't mind the dry bugs, its the wet slimy ones like snails and slugs that I don't want on me and did you know there are slugs that can hang from a string like web things from trees............................EEE GADS!!!

Limax maximus
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
220px-Limax_maximus_5.jpg

Limax maximus (literally, "great slug"), known by the common names great grey slug and leopard slug, is a species of slug in the family Limacidae, the keeled slugs. It is among the largest keeled slugs, Limax cinereoniger being the largest.

Limax maximus is the type species of the genus Limax. The adult slug measures 10-20 cm (4-8 in) in length and is generally a light greyish or grey-brown with darker spots and blotches, although the coloration and exact patterning of the body of this slug species is quite variable.

This species has a very unusual and distinctive mating method, where the pair of slugs use a thick thread of mucus to hang suspended in the air from a tree branch or other structure.

Although native to Europe, this species has been accidentally introduced to many other parts of the world.

Thanks a lot Europe :eek:

Ask a Question