Nature & Wildlife Thread

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
A few months back I was on Google maps searching around to see if there were any trails I could find. I've done that before, but it's gotten to the point where I've found just about every place in the area. To my surprise, I found what appeared to be a pathway that circled ponds and habitat. I was curious.

View attachment 97400

With temps near 60° today, I decided it was time to get outside, and what better place to go than to this mysterious pathway?
I had searched information about it online, but with no idea about it's name, I never found anything about it.

I hoped there would be a sign with it's name at the entrance, and there was. It's called Hiawatha Crossing Storm Water Detention Ponds.
View attachment 97401

View attachment 97393

It's a surprisingly nice place tucked in between factories and train tracks. The paved trails equal about 2 miles. I really can't wait to see what the place looks like in Summer!

View attachment 97395
View attachment 97396
View attachment 97397

Just north of there was a much smaller place called the Parkersville Storm Water Detention Pond. Not nearly as scenic, but every habitat restoration helps! Turns out, both places were part of the same project and were created after flooding damaged quite a few homes nearby. The ponds help prevent flooding, the habitat helps animals, insects, and helps keep the water healthy, and the pathway adds value to the community.
View attachment 97399
View attachment 97398
I dunno JB place seems way too crowded.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mr Hawk returned, again! He is hanging out around 100 feet form the house, I am using my little point and shoot hand held to grab the shots.
The wind gauge does not work well with him sitting on it, but it sure makes a perfect perch for the hawk. He even watched me walk out onto the deck to get pictures of him.
He sat there for a long time then flew to the ground to grab something, but it was out of sight.
IMG_0826.jpg
IMG_0830.jpg
IMG_0832.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I put one up, still waiting for them to find it.
I have a ton of different bees around my house, because of all the flowers, and Hummingbird and Oreole feeders, but I never thought of building them a house

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Everyone on the Decorah Bald Eagles chat is excited for the first egg to be laid. It could be tonight, within the next two hours. The female is sitting on the branch, at the top of the image, so many are wondering if she knows it's coming. It's also possible that it doesn't come tonight.

Clipboard01.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Can't remember if I shared this or not, but I finished making a native bee house last week. I used a combination of hollow stems from the garden and drilled sticks. It's mainly intended for Mason Bees and Leafcutter Bees, but there are a variety of hole sizes for a variety of bees. This'll be going up in my native garden as soon as the ground thaws.

View attachment 97383

After my fiasco of trying to hatch some mason bees myself, I checked on the outdoor bee house I mounted on our deck and it seems like the few bees I managed to get out side may have found themselves a home.
This picture was taken in January. It looks like there are 2, possibly 3 holes with occupants right now. (y)

IMG_7390.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Mr Hawk returned, again! He is hanging out around 100 feet form the house, I am using my little point and shoot hand held to grab the shots.
The wind gauge does not work well with him sitting on it, but it sure makes a perfect perch for the hawk. He even watched me walk out onto the deck to get pictures of him.
He sat there for a long time then flew to the ground to grab something, but it was out of sight. View attachment 97406 View attachment 97407 View attachment 97408

I had to adjust my Davis weathervane once. It won't like that hawk sitting on it!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had to adjust my Davis weathervane once. It won't like that hawk sitting on it!
No kidding. That is my secondary one. We put one up on the house tied off on the chimney, which we don't use. It catches the winds better, the one the hawk is sitting on is attached to the main station, but I have a secondary running the one off the house. Being down the hill and lower than a lot of the trees it was not being very accurate.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The horses decided to hang out around our RV for 3 plus hours. Nap time!
They allow 4-5 foals a year. Any mare that has a foal is given a shot to prevent pregnancy for a few years. As the herd ages they are talking of relaxing the birth control to allow more foals for the future herd. Last year there were 4 males and one female born.

IMG_0867 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0864 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0862 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0850 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0849 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0847 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0853 - Copy.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks addy, I love watching those horses!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Happy World Wildlife Day! Here are just some of my favorite wildlife photos I've taken over the past few years. Many of these creatures' populations are declining. One common factor is habitat loss. Part of that is what inspired me to add my native garden. A couple of these photos were taken in my native garden. Others were taken at different places across Wisconsin.

DSCN6064_1.jpg

blandings2014.jpg

IMG_8047 copy2.jpg

IMG_4733 copy1.jpg

IMG_5337 copy2.jpg

IMG_5442 copy2.jpg

DSCN7251 copy.jpg

DSCN7338 copy.png

DSCN3760_2.png

DSCN2083copy.jpg

IMG_3217 copy3.jpg

IMG_1209 copy2-1.jpg

IMG_0649 copy3.jpg

IMG_7310 copy.jpg

IMG_8092 copy4.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The ground hogs are out and about here, we saw three wandering along side the road!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The first Decorah Eagle hatch is happening! As I was watching and waiting, the other eagle flew in with a semi-alive young bunny. It was a pretty gruesome scene, but eagles gotta eat, too. Camera operator changed the view shortly after.

Ask a Question