JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This Turkey Vulture was tearing something apart in the backyard. Not often they land around here, but I have been seeing them fly over a lot the past few weeks.
Fun fact, the thing in the background is the female duck that's nesting by my pond. Once again, she got chased away by a male that doesn't want her around. She chose to land in the neighbors yard by a puddle.
IMG_1864 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well now to add to the excitement...................a snake doing what snakes do and all other predators, eat..............felt bad for the frog, there were a whole lot of them now one less.
.View attachment 99209 View attachment 99212

Not my pond, We put some bees on their yard.

It's the circle of life. Hate to see the frog go through that, but also nice to see the snake get a meal. I couldn't imagine having to hunt for food, especially with no arms or legs!
We're lucky that we're civilized enough to have grocery stores.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Would be funny tho if we had to sneak around trying to get food and snakes went to grocery stores. I'm trying to picture that. Snakes w/their little camera's shooting photo's of us hunting :LOL:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I went out to check our swarm traps, I have one in a black locust, one in a maple and one on the deck.

This one is out of commission for a bit............................. a cute little bird made a nice home in it

I have net bags of quilt batting hanging in trees for them to use, looks like it took advantage of the batting.
IMG_1217.JPG
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What's a swarm trap Addy?
We bait a box, hive body, the thing that looks sort of like a hole in a tree, with brood comb, wax mixed with lemon grass and hope if our bee hive swarms it will make that its home. That way we do not lose the bees, gain a new hive. If they swarm and go away the chances of living in the wild is very low.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
DSC_0016.JPG

Lake Ontario, Port Hope, ON. Water is 2' higher than normal. The area in the middle of the picture is a nature trail, normally 25' from the water! The trail is now closed, but the waterfowl love the adjoining marsh!
DSC_0021.JPG

This fella was apparently trying to figure out how he ever got INTO the totally fenced area!
John

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This afternoon I went in the woods. Walked through a field to get a few native plant photos. I've gotten ticks in the same field before, but what could go wrong? I also wanted to see if I could find any snakes, but nothing to be found.
IMG_2104 copy.jpg

IMG_2108 copy.jpg

Oh, and here's five minutes ago.
IMG_2114 copy.jpg

Funny how it's been crawling on my clothes all day without me knowing. Actually, "funny" isn't the word I'd use. I found it on my bedroom door, where I hung my hoodie. The worst part is not knowing if it was the only one. I'm now paranoid, as I usually get when I find one. Can't stand the damn things. If there were any creature I wish didn't exist, this would be the one. Even if they didn't carry lyme disease, they'd still creep me out. The fact that they do have Lyme disease makes it that much worse.

Ask a Question