sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't carry my cell phone every where since I am retired .When I was working yes but now I enjoy the disconnection from the outside world..I do like the puter only because I can learn from it .Anything that needs fixing I can find on here .Youtube is a big help .I learned how to do lots of repairs on stuff here that I would never know how to do Cell phones to me are only for emergencies if I break down in my truck .Then roadside assist does the rest .If it rings when I am out I panic ,think something is wrong at home

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The hawk is back this one is a male. I was shooting through our windows. I know it is a male because after sitting there calling, he flew over to the woods and had a happy valentines meeting with a gal!

IMG_0796.jpg
IMG_0799.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful creature!...(as long as I don't have to witness feeding time)
I have only seen them catch one bird, a dove, years ago and a few frogs. They miss way more often than they score.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Can't remember if I shared this or not, but I finished making a native bee house last week. I used a combination of hollow stems from the garden and drilled sticks. It's mainly intended for Mason Bees and Leafcutter Bees, but there are a variety of hole sizes for a variety of bees. This'll be going up in my native garden as soon as the ground thaws.

IMG_1181 copy.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Those bee houses are for the wood boring bees thing is i have them but they still go after everything else .But those bees are great pollinators because they are clumsy and roll in the pollen .I have to go around with dowels to fill the holes they make

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Those bee houses are for the wood boring bees

No, this bee house isn't for Carpenter bees.
Mason bees, Leafcutter bees, and hornfaced bees don't make holes, they use pre-existing cavities typically formed by other creatures. Different hole sizes attract different bees.

I put one up, still waiting for them to find it.

They used all of my drilled logs last year, so I decided I might as well go and make a house instead. I'm also leaving some bare dirt in the garden for bees like Sweat bees that nest in the ground. I see Metallic Green Sweat Bees in my garden more than any other specie.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A few months back I was on Google maps searching around to see if there were any trails I could find. I've done that before, but it's gotten to the point where I've found just about every place in the area. To my surprise, I found what appeared to be a pathway that circled ponds and habitat. I was curious.

Clipboard01.jpg

With temps near 60° today, I decided it was time to get outside, and what better place to go than to this mysterious pathway?
I had searched information about it online, but with no idea about it's name, I never found anything about it.

I hoped there would be a sign with it's name at the entrance, and there was. It's called Hiawatha Crossing Storm Water Detention Ponds.
IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1190 copy.jpg

It's a surprisingly nice place tucked in between factories and train tracks. The paved trails equal about 2 miles. I really can't wait to see what the place looks like in Summer!

IMG_1204 copy.jpg

IMG_1208 copy.jpg

IMG_1209 copy.jpg

Just north of there was a much smaller place called the Parkersville Storm Water Detention Pond. Not nearly as scenic, but every habitat restoration helps! Turns out, both places were part of the same project and were created after flooding damaged quite a few homes nearby. The ponds help prevent flooding, the habitat helps animals, insects, and helps keep the water healthy, and the pathway adds value to the community.
IMG_1216 copy.jpg

IMG_1213 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question