JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I haven't been taking very many photos during my hikes this year but I thought I'd share a couple from today.

IMG_3344 copy.jpg

IMG_3342 copy.jpg

IMG_3352 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This afternoon I went in the woods. Walked through a field to get a few native plant photos. I've gotten ticks in the same field before, but what could go wrong? I also wanted to see if I could find any snakes, but nothing to be found.
View attachment 99584
View attachment 99585

Oh, and here's five minutes ago.
View attachment 99586

Funny how it's been crawling on my clothes all day without me knowing. Actually, "funny" isn't the word I'd use. I found it on my bedroom door, where I hung my hoodie. The worst part is not knowing if it was the only one. I'm now paranoid, as I usually get when I find one. Can't stand the damn things. If there were any creature I wish didn't exist, this would be the one. Even if they didn't carry lyme disease, they'd still creep me out. The fact that they do have Lyme disease makes it that much worse.
I got bit by a deer tick about 5 weeks ago. The first one I've ever seen in northern Vermont. I've been bitten multiple times in central NY. Very nasty creatures. The bite area burns bad for a few weeks. Noticeable for a month. Highly infectious.
I watched one of our dogs go from a healthy, energetic animal to skin and bones then death in 3 weeks. His kidneys shut down from Lyme disease.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I got bit by a deer tick about 5 weeks ago. The first one I've ever seen in northern Vermont. I've been bitten multiple times in central NY. Very nasty creatures. The bite area burns bad for a few weeks. Noticeable for a month. Highly infectious.
I watched one of our dogs go from a healthy, energetic animal to skin and bones then death in 3 weeks. His kidneys shut down from Lyme disease.

I had a wood tick crawling on me yesterday, actually found it literally seconds after I took the last photo on my last post. I get paranoid about ticks when I know I'm in an area that would likely have them, so it gives me the advantage, because I start frequently checking for them crawling up my clothes. Saw this one on my sock. They like to tuck into shoes and hide awhile until they're ready to come out. Luckily, they have to be in you for 24 to 48 hours before you can get Lyme disease, but that isn't much comfort. Ticks are the worst.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thought I'd share this photo I just saw on the news. This is NOT MY PHOTO. Although, I do wish I had a drone. The reason I'm sharing it is that my yard is actually in the photo, but you can't see it with all the trees. The wooded area on the bottom right is part of the woods I'm always hiking in. Thought it was funny to see my neighborhood on tv, and it was captured amazingly.

DDnQWg2XsAAXvgb.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last week, I was camping at Harrington Beach State Park along the shores of Lake Michigan. The place is loaded with deer. They have a two mile loop pathway and you just about can't take that pathway without seeing at least one deer. None of them are scared of people, either. Occasional I rode my bike within just a few feet of them without realizing until I was next to them.

IMG_3755 copy.jpg

IMG_4332 copy.jpg

The campground used to be partly wooded, but due to the emerald ash borer, all of the ash trees had to be removed. Only a few dead and dying ones remain.
IMG_3792 copy.jpg

The park still has a phenomenal woodland habitat made up of other tree species, and in many spots, ferns cover the woodland floor.
IMG_3799 copy.jpg

The park is loaded with milkweed. Every sunny area has milkweed. This was taken in the prairie.
IMG_3969 copy.jpg

You can see Lake Michigan from the prairie.
IMG_4177 copy.jpg

I also got to see a lot of birds for the first time, such as Redstarts and this Bobolink.
IMG_4195 copy.jpg

Here's a few shots around Quarry Lake, which lies in the middle of the park.
IMG_3777 copy.jpg

IMG_3742 copy1.jpg

IMG_3861 copy.jpg

While there, I also headed over to the Port Washington harbor to see the lighthouse.
IMG_3942 copy1.jpg

IMG_3947 copy.jpg

IMG_3935 copy.jpg

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice pix and I don't know how hot it was there but if it was me I would have been jumping in that pretty lake
upload_2017-7-19_17-7-0.gif

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My mom stopped by today and brought this.

Did some quick research and discovered that it's an Imperial Moth caterpillar. Absolutely massive! I released it into the native garden. It eats maple, which I have plenty of in the yard. I find it interesting that these aren't more common since they eat many common trees (maple, pine, birch, cedar, elm, hickory, oak, etc.)
IMG_6379 copy.jpg

IMG_6375 copy.jpg

IMG_6360 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yes, wow!
I would love to see the size of the moth it turns into!

Me too. I've seen a Luna Moth before which is similar in size, and they are huge! According to the internet, this could have a wingspan of nearly 2 inches larger than a Luna Moth.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've only seen one Luna Moth on my deck....maybe they're so large and fewer, cause they've eaten all the others!:D

Ask a Question